1991 chevy camaro v6

dw1212
25

Asked by dw1212 Oct 20, 2012 at 11:34 AM about the 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible

A few days ago I was driving and the car just died.Drove fine after that for 4 days then died again while
driving now it wont start turns over but wont start and when it does start it dies within like 3 minutes.I
have replaced the coil and the ignition module still is doing it any ideas what it could be. HELP PLEASE

12,895

A filthy fuel filter can cause it to die then not start for 15 mins to an hr. How does it accelerate at high rpms like 4000+, does it stumble? Could also be the pump.

dw1212
25

no it doesn't stumble at high rpms but does take off very slow. a fuel pump is what i think it is i am going to check and see if the spark plugs are getting spark if they are its the fuel pump if they aren't what wires should i check?

12,895

A fuel pump would get worse at higher rpm. Pull the easiest plug and get the part number off of it. The number should be on the white porcelain.

12,895

Let me rephraise that the fuel pump issue wouldn't necessarily get worse but wouldn't go away.

dw1212
25

pull the easiest plug from where? ok i am not sure weather its the fuel pump or not i am going to check and see if the spark plugs are getting spark if they arent what should i do

12,895

When this loaded, it loaded a different question about a pickup truck idling funny. So when I answered, I was talking about that. I'm sorry about that you can disregard the previous statements about removing the plugs my phone acts funny sometimes. Check the fuel pressure and come back with the results. Don't just replace the pump without testing it because not easy and may not be bad.

dw1212
25

ya im not going to i just need to no what to check if the spark plugs arent getting spark i have already replaced the coil and ignition module what should i do next

12,895

No spark is very likely to be the crank sensor. That's if its distributorless, my 87 had a 2.8 with a distributor. My dad has a 92 firebird conv and I can't remember whether its got coil packs or a distributor. Does it have a distributor?

dw1212
25

my car doesnt have a crank sensor in it i checked with autozone. yes it has a distributor should i change that out also and see if it starts working again

12,895

No don't just throw parts at it, is it getting spark? Pick up a Chiltons repair manual it has a section with step by step checks and it will lead you straight to your answer.