What can cause low voltage on a vehicle?

joerussell3000
0

Asked by joerussell3000 May 01, 2013 at 05:28 PM about the 2002 Chrysler Town & Country EX

About three months ago I purchased a 2002 Chrysler Town and Country. After about two weeks, the service light came on. I took it to a local mechanic, and the initial diagnosis was bad O2 sensors. That was simple enough. They were replaced, and I went on my way. Only about two miles down the road, the service light came back on. I turned around and took it back to the mechanic, and he examined the vehicle again. After a deeper analysis, he refunded me my $, and said he recommended that I get rid of the vehicle immediately. He sighted a low voltage issue. A few days later, the vehicle began to stall as I would accelerate. It got to the point when, putting my accelerator all the way to the floor, the vehicle would not go past 5-10 mph. Now the vehicle will not even start at all. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

14,165

a low voltage issue would be caused by the alternator not charging or a problem with the battery. That should be easy to figure out if in fact that is the problem. sounds like you may have some other issues here.

joerussell3000
0

I do appreciate your response. I actually meant to indicate in my post that those problems had been ruled out. I did have my battery and alternator tested which showed them to be operating okay.

14,165

the catalytic converter's may have come apart causing a blockage in the exhaust.

45,595

What was the voltage with the engine running? What is the voltage on the battery now? Try some starting fluid to see if you have ignition.