The windsheld wipers on my 2006 keep going on by themselves and I can't turn them off.

thehappyvictor
50

Asked by thehappyvictor Mar 26, 2013 at 02:33 PM about the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited

For the past week my wipers keep turn on by themselves as soon as I start the car and while I am driving and I can't turn them off.
I have tried everything short of pulling the fuse or just removing the wipers.
Any suggests ?? Or should I just pull the fuse? And if so how in the heck do I do that!!

judge_roy

the cam inside the motor is sticking...rap it with screwdriver handle or ball peen lightly, it will stop....if you've got the time, rebuild or replace it~

Best Answer
judge_roy

see if I can come up with which one 'case rappin' it just wasn't workin'

judge_roy

here's what. still have to know where~

judge_roy

looks like pull the relay from cavity 31 to stop them~

thehappyvictor
50

Hey it worked!! Looks like it is fix. And I did not know what a cam was or is. Thank You! you are a God sent! thehappyvictor

judge_roy

yay. was only a guess, had this happen with my 34,000 miles on it MINI cooper 2006...guess just anytime is a good time to start misbehavin' So glad for you so aptly named thehappyvictor~

64,315

You're going to have to replace that wiper motor. Hitting it is not always going to work. There is a switch inside that is supposed to turn the wiper off at the bottom of the stroke. That's called the "Park" position. The switch in your wiper motor is staying closed when it's supposed to open.

judge_roy

buggered up, that. How do you suppose these things go bad? thermal cycling between -14 up to +93 degrees farenheit...small spiders (yes, seen 'em) or even ants find their way in and hatch in a "safe place" you electrical contacts...could this be of a galvonic nature, where small currents create a blockade of emulsion that power cannot go thru? witnesses? jury?

judge_roy

bent. yes. but how did it bend? through normal cam action every cycle of the wipers? Don't you think they'd be smart enough to use an optical switch for this application? seems like a well...duh, moment~

judge_roy

in one moulded case sender and receiver with a horseshoe configuration, anything that enters the horseshoe sets off the pulses...used this on the SATCOM II working for RDI on the ground unit in China- Those guys were fools with their designs....moof, the place was going under, I was hired to help save whatever I could~

64,315

The thing that happens to contact points is that they arc when they open and close. That arcing causes pits in the contact surface. The pits reduce the contact area so more current flows through the remaining areas. Sufficient current flow through metal can cause melting - that's called welding. The contact points can and do weld together and keep current flowing. Tapping on the switch box can break the contacts free but it can return again.

judge_roy

semi-conductor no moving parts would be the solution, 'cept you'd be darn tootin' to find windshield wipers that worked without some measure of physical involvement...you know I've always enjoyed a product called 'Rain-X' which is a little hard to put on right, but amazingly makes the rain go anerobic, no wipers needed~

thehappyvictor
50

Rain-X? Hummm, I will look in to it . Thanks

judge_roy

haven't used this bottle in years, takes a very long time to apply, quarter sized circles the entire windshield, but is keen 'cause you don't have to use your wipers...at all!

judge_roy

just treated the MINI to a coat of rain-x....supposed to rain tomorrow, bought that bottle about fifteen years ago, will see if it stands the test of time....remember driving to Cleveland from MIlwaukee in my '73 Toyota and never having to put on the Windshield wipers...extraordinary!

judge_roy

it hasn't rained in California in over eight months....dry, dry, tinder box....all~