Why is my 06 PT Cruiser Overheating???

Wutliss420
0

Asked by Wutliss420 Feb 21, 2013 at 03:40 PM about the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base

My 06 PT cruiser is overheating.  I changed out the radiator cap & thermostat & the coolant level was
fine, no loss of coolant.  This took me an hour and a half so the engine had cooled significantly, then
when I started the car the Temperature gauge was immediately all the way up to HOT & the car had
not even run for 1 minute.  I took off the radiator cap & looked to see if the coolant was circulating in
case the water pump may have failed, but it seems to be circulating the coolant.  My only other
guess is the temperature sensor may be bad.  When a mechanic changed my timing belt he had
forgotten to plug in the temperature sensor wire, so the car always showed the temp as flat "Cold"  
once I plugged it in it showed it as right in the middle where it usually is.  Could this wire have
shorted out & caused the engine to "think" it was over heating?

59,115

"My only other guess is the temperature sensor may be bad." --- That would be my thought.

17,485

sounds like you have air in the system from where you changed the thermostat. bleeed the system of all the air and then see how it does.