Can air get trapped in the power steering system and is there an easy way to bleed it?

GAS22
0

Asked by GAS22 Jun 14, 2012 at 09:40 PM about the 2007 Mazda MAZDA6 s Touring

When the outside air temperature is warm/hot, I hear a ticking/clicking sound when I turn the steering wheel.  It is more noticeable at slower speeds.  Car has about 90,000 mi.  Power steering fluid was low so I added fluid.  Noise didn't go away.  I lubricated steering joints, but didn't help.  Noise is not present in morning when temperature is fairly cool.

68,485

This ticking/clicking sound is typical sounds of a CV JOINT going bad.

13,195

Tom is correct. I had that happen to me years ago on a '78 Cadillac Eldorado. Power steering systems do need to be bled sometimes. Like, for example, if you replace a hose. To bleed the power steering system simply add power steering fluid pressure to the correct level. Replace the cap & start your engine. Slowly turn the steering wheel several times lock to lock (all the way in each direction). Do this for about 5 minutes or so. Shut off the engine & top off the fluid if needed. Then you'll be all set. -Jim

OJ
3,100

One thing to remember. Hydrolic fluid does not evaporate. Not in the brake system, the tranny, or the power steering system. If there is a need to add more fluid there is a leak. Or the system was underfilled in the first place, which I doubt.