Recently I have a message on the panel saying speed limited to 80 mph and the car will not go faster then 80 mph

jeffsbuick
180

Asked by jeffsbuick Oct 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM about the 2006 Buick Lucerne CXL V6

car does not go over 80 mph. The display panel shows a message when I reach 80 mph "speed limited to 80 mph". Owners manual says something about a magnetic balance?

DavidH25

Sounds like a governor.

DavidH25

Magnetic Balance is suspension component, if deployed it automatically stiffens the suspension when you make a hard, real hard turn, to keep the car from rolling from too soft suspension. I could find nothing about why it would govern your car to 80, unless while the M-B is on it does that, but I really looked and found no reference to the two being related

DavidH25

OK I found it. The governor, or speed limiter, shows up and limits the speed of the car to a certain speed in a particular gear. It will not allow the engine to over-rev. Make sure you are not in 3rd gear and I bet it will go off..it's not a safety device, it's to prevent destroying your engine by going too fast in a lower gear

jeffsbuick
180

I found a owners manual and on page 3-63 It says- This message will display when your vehicle speed is limited to 80 mph because the vehicle detects a problem in the speed variable assist steering, magnetic ride control, or automatic leveling control systems. Have your vehicle serviced by GM dealer. - Any tips for me based on this info?

DavidH25

OK then the two are related. I found the same thing when you pointed it out, but I did get information about governing it because of gear. I must have been looking at the wrong car, my apologies. It will always say take it to dealer, but if you can find a reliable competent mechanic it will cost you far less. Sorry I misled you. I don't recall which site had that information, evidently another car.

jeffsbuick
180

No worries DavidH25 - Thanks for your help. I had a blow out on the drivers side rear tire and the tread came off and ripped about a 15 inch square piece of the plastic rear bumper that wraps around the corner of the car right behind the tire. A few days later I noticed the 80 mph thing. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

DavidH25

It might. If the tire coming apart like that, doing damage to your bumper, it may well have set off some sensor re. the mag balancer. Too much of a coincidence it seems to me.