Hard to start, acts like it's flooded. Also high engine idle--3,000 to 4,000 rpm

zylicz
30

Asked by zylicz Mar 12, 2013 at 01:35 AM about the 2000 Saturn L-Series 4 Dr LS Sedan

Have trouble starting half the time. When this occurs I have to hold accelerator down all the way as when an engine is flooded. When I come to a stop in gear it idles at very high rpm

judge_roy

your check engine light tells us what? Bad O2 sensor?

DavidH25

Your 2.2L I4 DOHC 16V FI Engine is designed to start by just turning key without you foot on gas petal.The ECM knows what to do. Same even of you have the higher end LSX with the 3.0L. That may be the problem right there, do not press the petal. If you must for it to start there is a fault in the ECM possibly, that could also explain the high idle, but that is one of many many possibilities, the O2 sensor just as Bob said, the list is too long to go through here

45,895

The O2 sensor is not a possibility. Engines start using the open loop which is a rich fuel mixture. After ten - thirty seconds, the O2 sensors come in when the ECU switches to closed loop operation. I would look for a vacuum leak which would lean out the starting mixture and cause high idle RPM. As David said, it could be many other things. It wouldn't hurt to get the engine codes read at the parts store.

12,935

Engine doesn't go into closed loop until both the engine hits an operating temp of about 160 and the O2 sensors have warmed up. Tenspeed is correct its not the O2 sensors.

12,935

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Flooded engine will idle rough not high.

45,895

Thanks John. Good to see you again.

DavidH25

Really..welcome back

12,935

Been working

zylicz
30

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. Had my mechanic diagnose both the hard to start and racing idle problems yesterday and the solutiion was replacement of the engine coolant temp sensor. Works fine now. zylicz

j_abby
0

I know the OP's problem has been solved, but I'll add a couple clarifications for the benefit of others who, like I've just done, stumble upon this thread after the fact: 1) A vacuum leak often DOES yield a high idle: in these cases, the leak prevents operation at normal idle speed, so the ECU compensates by increasing idle speed to whatever point is capable of maintaining a sufficiently smooth and sustainable A/F mix. 2) On many vehicles, the ECM will remember a bad 02 sensor reading such that the reading DOES effect engine operation right upon the very next ignition attempt -- not several seconds or more afterwards.

judge_roy

sounds like OBD-II you're describin' there~