I put a gallon of antifreeze in my 96 Chevy Lumina Van LS and most of it was on the ground. 4 mo ago someone tighten a hose and that fixed the probelem for awhile. Do I need a new radiator?

dschwerh
0

Asked by dschwerh Oct 22, 2013 at 02:39 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr LS Sedan

I am a female driver and do not know if Midas Muffler is on the up and up.  I work next door so it is convenient for me to go there.  They said I need a new radiator and quoted me$397.51.  They didn't give me anymore details.  Does it sound like a need a new radiator since the van is leaking so much antifreeze?

82,965

Without seeing the car, we won't know for sure. If you suspect that Midas might be snowing you, you can always take it to another garage for a second opinion. A new Radiator will run around $150, plus markup on the part, so $200, then labor cost, so the price is fair if it is the radiator that needs replacing.

califcarson
3,055

Take it to another radiator repair specialist and have them show you where the leak is. Some radiators can be fixed by brazing or welding. Some are just throwaways. If the cost is near the same, and you are convinced the radiator needs replacing, it may be more convenient to do the work next door. They need to show you the leak. Ask them if it just needs hose replacements, (more cost added on). They need to show you why. Cracks, holes, or if spongy. Ask them to put them on at hose cost because replacing the radiator included removal of the hoses anyway. The entire change out for $400.00 is fair.