97 lumina ran out of gas. I put gas in it. It won't idle. When it does start I have to rev it up and it eventually dies. What could be the problem/

Christie Ross
0

Asked by Christie Jan 15, 2013 at 02:51 AM about the 1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr LS Sedan

Jason Zane
2,905

try changing the fuel filter. the pump may have sucked up some sediment.

Louigi62000
0

Louigi62000 its defanatly your fuel pump .and i wouldreplace fuel filter. you should never. Let fuel level below queter tank. Makes pump work to hard and costly repairs fuil pumps are easy to replace be shure you install the same way u take of and check four leaking fuil. Good luck.

DavidH25

There are other reasons to keep gas in the tank, I know it's not easy with price of gas but when it's empty, especially during winter, condensation will form, it can be a lot of water flow to bottom

Tom Torres
1,425

also when the pump runs hotter with low fuel and starts sucking up sediment at bottom of tank as jason said it doesnt have the fuel surrounding it to run cooler