My car wont turn on, but if I move the shifter it will turn on. What could it be????

Isiswrath9
35

Asked by Isiswrath9 Mar 16, 2013 at 10:02 PM about the 2004 Acura TSX 5-spd

I have an 2004 Acura TSX. Never really had any problems until now. The car wont start. All of the icons flash but
nothing not even a crank. I move the shifter from left to right I dont move into any gear and presto the car turns on. I
checked my battery it wasnt good and I switched it last week. BUT it started doing it again...Im stumped. Anyone
have any ideas? Help.

7jimmy7
10,625

shifter leaning on a wire harness thats making and breaking a connection

49,745

There's a switch on the shift lever called a neutral safety switch. It prevents the engine from starting in gear. It sounds like yours is worn or out of alignment.

Isiswrath9
35

Thanks. I would of never thought of that.

Badger446124
100

There is a sensor that tells when in park,my rsx wont start in neutral.it tells it when its in park.

Isiswrath9
35

Today the car didnt turn on. But I didnt move the shifter and I tried it again and the car turned on. ?????????

Badger446124
100

Maybe a short in sensor or wires

Isiswrath9
35

The shirfttronic has also been messing up. I will have it in manuel and it shifts to automatic by itself. Trail and error gonna have to keep looking.