Maintenance on a 2001 Volvo s40

gvgregory
0

Asked by gvgregory Mar 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM about the 2001 Volvo S40 STD

I don't need to do anything fancy. This is just a good commuter car for me. The previous owner (1) seems to have
taken pretty good care of it. The timing belt was replaced. Regular oil changes and tune ups.
Guestion: is Restore, Tune up in a can worth the money? Is changing the brake pads easy or for a pro?
I'd like to drive the wheels off this puppy. Suggestions, Please.
Thanks...keep up the good work.

45,645

You can do a brake job. It's pretty basic replacing of parts and lubricating the sliders. --- I don't know about "Restore". Take some basic readings (MPG / 0-60 time) and try it. Compare with after readings to see results. I don't think it can hurt an older engine.

judge_roy

Sounds like a Gem~ It's a California car and will not rust, only need a paint job every fifteen years....if you are located in the rust belt, look for salty shoes and salt splash through the rust holes...I'd kiss this one off if this were the case. Seems like you have already done everything, maybe get a front wheel alignment and a set of Dunlaps, if the brake fluid is 'bout in the middle would look at the brake pads, while they're doing your alignment will note the condition of your steering gear...tires (top of lincoln's head, 3/32-ole' penny test!) also there are wear bars, if they're startin to show AT all would buy new tires. Sooner or later you'll own generals. an envious of anyone who really loves their car!

68,135

I've used Restore in the past, and although it thickens your oil somewhat and it felt like it did something, it's all a placebo and a waste of money. I'd say , save your money and use the correct oil and change it regularly and the motor will run for a long time.