What should I pay for this car?

convertiblegirl
0

Asked by convertiblegirl Jan 23, 2013 at 08:19 PM about the 1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base

I'm looking at a '90 Miata, one owner w/147K miles.  No frills, 5 spd std convertible w/no radio.  Has air but no power anything else.  Has new fuel pump, needs new clutch, owner has bought new rag top w/glass fold down window that goes w/car.  Has minimal paint issues a couple of small places around the trunk and roof.  Interior in good shape.  

Just wanting something to drive around on weekends and enjoy the convertible.  Will put minimal miles on the car.

pauljay
115

As a former Miata owner, I know that they are good cars. However, 147,000 miles is a lot and the one you are describing appears to have some issues--especially the clutch, which is not inexpensive to replace. Why not continue looking to see if you can find one with lower mileage and no issues. They're available. Don't forget to get a CarFax report before you buy. Good luck and don't be too quick to settle on a car with issues that will cost you!

Stuart Bromley
65

Yes I agree with pauljay. Not sure where you are but there are a lots of reasonably priced MX5's in the UK newer with less mileage very reasonably priced. Check out auto trader

Racer_X
16,375

My first question would be ..How much are you looking to spend? As current owner of a 2011 MX-5 Miata, i can tell you that I was also tempted in the past to buy a early 90's Miata (think it was a '91 with 100k miles approx). The engine was so rough and raw sounding and lacking in many amenities, I passed on it with no regrets. Like others have said, there are a ton of used Miata's out there...hold out for something newer and with less miles!

bjpmhd
0

Hang in there for an a/c one. Ragtops get hot in the summer, top down or not.