Why doesn't my 89 Honda Accord show that I am in Park I put it in park.

makemyn4
0

Asked by makemyn4 Dec 15, 2013 at 09:39 AM about the 1989 Honda Accord Lxi

I have an 89 Honda Accord. I can put the car into Park, so it appears, but the light on the
dash does not show it in park.  And since it doesn't show it in park, I can turn the car off,
but cannot take the key out and I cannot press the button on the gear changer to move it
back into any other gear. Can you tell me what is causing this?

zak3nn3dy
755

Mounted slightly forward and above the ignition tumbler there is an interlock solenoid. The plunger on this solenoid connects to the interlock lever. The engagement of the interlock lever prevents key removal, particularly when it's cold. Shift lever must be in "P" with "P" illuminated for solenoid to release the interlock lever. The following remedy has worked for me in the past. To prevent the interlock lever from ever engaging in the first place, 1. Remove the steering column cover (6 screws). 2. Locate the interlock solenoid. 3. Remove the small white plastic cover to expose the plunger of the solenoid and the groove in the interlock lever. 4. Remove the two screws that secure the solenoid. Lift the solenoid up slightly to disengage the plunger from the interlock lever. 5. Move the interlock lever toward the steering column. 6. Install the solenoid so its' plunger is no longer engaged with the groove in the interlock lever. 7. Install white plastic cover and steering column cover.