How can I tell it's carbed?

Lauren Bauer
0

Asked by Lauren Jun 02, 2011 at 09:58 AM about the 1987 Honda Accord DX

I'm looking at buying this 87 Accord: http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/2413880722.html

I'm an engineer-in-training, and my boyfriend is a Honda tech. I need to know if this particular vehicle is carbed, how can someone tell without looking under the hood? The lady who made the craigslist post lives about a hour and a half away from where the car is, so I can't readily get pictures of the engine bay.

Ben Vincent
195

Well, that was the time-period in which the base models may have still been carbed, so you'll need to see if it was a DX, LX or EX - not sure if this last one was a trim level in '87. If I remember correctly, the LX was fuel-injected and the DX was carbed. Around this time, though, all models became fuel-injected (dual- and multi-port, depending on trim level), so it might do you well to do a little research online.

Larry Carothers
55

all the accords where carbed up to 88 then they started the mpfi