What is the safest way to get payed for my car, other than cash?

jlachick
0

Asked by jlachick Feb 25, 2013 at 09:56 AM about the 2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class 2 Dr SL500 Convertible

I am getting responce from my add from out of state. I do not wish to be scammed out of my car so what is the safest way to collect payment.

45,735

Search the internet using "internet payment scams". Make sure whatever form of payment you receive is valid before releasing the car. Consult your banker before signing that title. Be very afraid, careful and cautious. Don't be rushed, time is your friend. -- There are many stories of people that lost money. Don't be one of them. Good luck.

voltagefuel
655

I've helped many people avoid being scammed, yet some people deserve it when they ignore all the signs and if they let greed get in the way of sanity. If it sounds too good to be true it is a scam. If they are suggesting anything with the words "Western Union" it's a scam for sure. Stop the communication immediately. What you do is request a deposit, you set the terms - and if they are out of state, they can send you a US Postal Service money order, then you go to the Post Office to cash it. it's good to hold the car X amount of days, or they lose the deposit. If that money order clears, make arrangements for them to pick it up, and accept just cash. Always avoid out of state buys no matter how good the offer. Never send anything to Western Union. Ever.

judge_roy

trade for a different car.

13,135

Bank draft. Let the buyer know that if they're not paying cash the vehicle or title/bill of sale (depending on your state) will NOT be released until their payment has cleared your bank!! HTH. -Jim

Jesse Brouse
595

Don't use Western Union, and try to avoid out of state sales unless its a family member or a good friend. I would do a Postal service money order, that way you can hold the title and vehicle until payment clears.