Ignition Coil Replacement Procedure

benzelator
0

Asked by benzelator May 29, 2007 at 01:59 PM about the 1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class 4 Dr C220 Sedan

I own a 1995 C220 and need to replace the ignition coils. What is the procedure? I don't want to have to remove the intake manifold and I can't see a simple way to do it without a lot of pain.  Does this need to be accessed from below?  I can't see how to pull the coils out after the bolts securing them to the manifold are removed.
Help Please!!!!!!!!!

17,745

Not sure how to do that, but when I had to do work on my Mercedes I used a Chilton manual. It took me through everything and was definitely worth the money.

acard232002
30

posting from 2007 - if you need this answer still: Other than the bolts, most ignition coils are also pressure mounted. No need to take out the entire manifold! take off the the air intake tubing (the black plastic long tube coming from the air filter) just to have some room to work with, they should come out from the top. There are two coils, and each has two connectors totaling 4 connections for the four spark lines. Because these should be pressure mounted, just try to pull on them lightly. If you will replace, just by looking at the new coils, you should be able to figure out how they are mounted. I will need to replace mines as the engine is turning off on me. I also have a 95' c220 and have done everything on it you can think of and have the expensive book from the dealer, it cost me almost $100. e-mail me if you need more info on anything else, i'll scan and e-mail you what ever you need and can answer most of your questions.