Car cuts out and or dies while driving it.

Travis Tedrow
5

Asked by Travis Mar 12, 2013 at 09:18 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Base

I have a 2000 cavalier that I bought because the car didn't run. I found that the Crank sensor was bad and replaced it. Through out the summer the car ran fine with no issues. I was driving it home from work one night when the weather had cooled down into the low 30's and the car acted like it was running out of power. I down shifted to fourth and then third gear but it would not rev over 3000 rpms. I then pressed in the clutch and it just died. We were able to pull the car off to the side and it would not start up. I removed the tank and the pump and checked for debris but the screen was clean. I then replaced the fuel filter and attempted to start the car and it fired right up. I drove it for two days and then it would not start. It would attempt to run but would die as soon as you would touch the gas pedal.  I parked the car and after three weeks I attempted to start it and it would not fire. I tried to pull it to my garage and after jarring the car loose from its parking spot it started and ran fine. It has ran fine for the last four days until I went to work this morning. The car did the same thing of losing power and I had to down shift it. I got it in to 3rd gear and dumped the clutch and hit the gas and it started running. It did that another two times on my trip from work. I am also fighting an issue of filling the car with gas where it wont hardly let me put anything in the tank. I replaced the hose on the neck because it was kinked but it did not help it out any. I would take any advice I can to fix my daily driver. Thanks

TheCavalierGuy
285

Your situation sounds like a classic sign of a weak fuel pump getting ready to just stop working. I was going to suggest changing your fuel filter but, you've done that already. If your check engine light is not on, then most likely that's your problem. There is a spring loaded plastic ball/valve embedded at the neck of your fuel tank. Check the ball/valve to make sure it moves freely downward when you push down on it. It should has no restrictions from preventing it from opening or closing. Check for anything that may be stopping the gas from by-passing the ball/valve. I've seen these ball/valve get damage from hoses being channeled through the filler neck in an attempt to remove gas from the tank.