electric issues

dmoney3299
25

Asked by dmoney3299 Mar 19, 2013 at 07:52 AM about the 2000 Chevrolet Blazer 2 Dr LS 4WD SUV

i replaced my battery and altenator but when i shut my car off battery light pops on but than goes off n when i crank
it over to start the battery guage goes over 9 volts but when i start it it goes back to 14 volts. why is it doing that? i
bought a new battery and altenator and still cant figure it out? and when i hold my window switch all the way up
eveen tho the windows all the way up my lights on my truck start flickering why is that? i need help plz can some
one help me befor i put anymore money into it.

DavidH25

The voltage drop is normal on the gauge while starting, the battery is under a heavy load and the draw will drop the gauge...besides those gauges on the dash are notoriously inaccurate. If you really want to know for sure, get a volt meter and have helper put it directly on the battery and watch it while you crank it. Granted, dropping to 9 volts is a bit low, but acceptable as long as it goes back to 13 or so after it starts. Now the light flickering is an altogether different thing. Headlights you mean? But if they work fine otherwise, maybe replace the relay and not worry about it.

68,635

Were you having issues before the battery and alternator swap? You might have a faulty alternator right out of the box, especially if it was a rebuilt vs new. Check your voltages as David suggests to confirm or have it bench tested.

DavidH25

Thanks Tom. It's flattering and encouraging to have somebody agree with a suggestion on a way do do something. I have bought power steering pumps, alternators, water pumps, headlights, that were faulty out of the box over the last 45 years of part~buying , and I go to known stores. I avoid PepBoys though.

dmoney3299
25

the thing is i have a car system and my amp is 2000 watss thats why i replaced them, because i beleive my system messed my alternator and battery up, and i lowerd it down and bought a new compacitor for it but it seems to keep messen with my voltage so i turned the system down but just feel its going to mess it up again, and i dont need that! i just think something else wrong and i cant figure it out. but it seems to run fine now but im just worrying it might mess up agian, and i have one other questions my fuse for my dome light and 4x4 is blowed but everytime i put a fuse in 10amp it keeps blown them and thats what it calls for, that also dont make no since to me???? u think there could be a electrical issue with my truck???

DavidH25

There is obviously an electrical problem when a fuse(s) keep blowing. Now diagnosing them is difficult to virtually impossible without being at the truck. Wires need to be traced. Relays need to be tested and/or swapped. Can you get a hold of a scan tool and read the OBD yourself? Buy one. Maybe the parts store will rent one, if you are unable to get it to the store. The scanner supplies it's own power. Couple of AA's. Maybe four. And get a multi~meter

dmoney3299
25

i can drives it there, but what do i tell them to do from yhere?

DavidH25

Ask them to read your OBD codes. They will do it free, they want to sell you a part, but don't buy anything; unless you are fully convinced the guy 1) knows what he is doing and 2) is honest. Either that or write down the fault numbers...PXXXX...or the like and bring them back here. One of us will help you.