02 Dodge Ram shaking

zkrets
200

Asked by zkrets Jan 04, 2011 at 03:47 PM about the 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT Quad Cab SB 4WD

Today on the way to school the truck was driving just find, then on the way to a class at the community college the truck was still running great. Got to the college just fine and was there for 2 hours 15 min and the truck was just sitting. On the way back home on the highway I would get up to about 50-55 mph and the truck would start to shake really bad. Got it up to 75 mph (speed limit) and the shaking slowed down but was still there. Fuel light was on so I put 25 bucks in the tank which gave it half a tank. Went to pick my sisters up from school and on the way back when I got up to about 45 mph it started shaking again pretty badly. (checked the front left tire when I got to the school and everything seems good there, front left is where it seems the shaking is starting.) When I got the truck home, we discovered that the power steering fluid was just about empty. We are letting the truck cool and then putting more fluid back into it. We have checked and the truck is completely out of 4wd. I am hoping that the power steering fluid is the only problem but does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Levi Schoenick
15

If the power steering isnt the problem, you should check the u-joints in the driveshaft they may be tight.

zkrets
200

Just got in from driving it, turns out steering fluid wasn't the problem. If I keep it in drive and just let it roll on its own (not touching brake or gas) it vibrates quite a bit, 0-30 no vibration, 30-40 slight vibration, 40-60 hard vibration but ONLY if I have my foot on the gas, if I take my foot off the gas, no vibration, if I push harder on the gas, vibration stops, just a slight push on the gas causes vibration and its a pretty good vibration. All tires are up to the PSI they should be (35 psi) and lugs are tight.

zkrets
200

Check engine light is on, Flashes when accelerating which is also when the shaking/vibrating is occurring, after driving has a smell to it but can't really tell what it smells like, dad took it for a drive on lunch break and determined its something in the engine not something to do with the tires/wheels.

Kelly Lipsie Jr.
425

with you having an 02, i wont be much help most likely, i wont get anything newer than my 96, but you might check your harmonic balancer, your driveshaft might be bent, dented, out of balance, you may be losing something in the motor, might not have all cylinders firing, or possibly delayed firing, check all your spark plugs, you could have a warped valve? spun a bearing?

Trevor Yost
275

check your tie rod ends. i have a loose left front, it gets wobbly at same speeds from it

Trevor Yost
275

or your belt and pulleys

Woodall007
30

I am sure you figured this out by now, but before your truck began shaking I bet for the last couple of weeks you have heard a stutter squeak while you were driving. You probably thought it was your brakes or something......It is/was your universal joint. Very inexspensive, $15.00, and a little bit of a pain replacing it. But a heheck of alot better than what it could of been.

Bj Alberts
15

If yoour check engine light it flashing u have a skip in the engine going on check the plugs. Or check the balance on the tires

fdani7861
20

Hello, I have a dodge Ram 1500 2009 5.7L 4X4. When I drive this truck at speed of 55 or 60mph the car is start shaking and the check engine flushing. I put new spare plugs, new coils check the compression of cylinders they are good.

fdani7861
20

I did everything I couldn't fix this truck anyone can help me to fix this truck in here please??. I took it to dodge dealer they work on it for 2 weeks and they didn't find the problem. thanks Dani

fdani7861
20

The code is P0303 multi cylinder misfiring then it goes from cylinder 3 to cylinder#6. I don't know what is going on with truck.

1818Pitbull
5

I have same. Plms when. Drive it shake. And. It not the tires. Or. Balance I had. Man look at it he. Said it weird and. When I drive in highway like 65 and it kill me. Won't go but it still run and. Pull over. Turn key off and. Turn back on it run movie fine then do again and what wrong. Shop said weird sow hat ur answer?

ram981500
10

did u guys figure out the shaking at 50 i have the same problem flashing check engine light and all

gmoney09
0

I have a 2003 1500 and I have the same problem. I have replaced two of the tires, the rear u joint, and all the plugs and coils and it still does it. now it is telling me it is misfiring on all cylanders. hopefully someone can be the savior here!!