my 1996 dodge ram 1500 sometimes slips when starting off and then shifts hard, like a jolt. i can feel it also when i slow down the tranny downshifting slow, like its trying to catch up with the truck. im changing the filter and if i knew how to adjust the bands i would do that also. any thoughts?

hratner
5

Asked by hratner Mar 07, 2013 at 11:49 PM about the 1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2 Dr Laramie SLT 4WD Standard Cab SB

1996 ram 1500 4x4 slt laramie, 5.2L

68,045

What you describe could be as simple as low fluid in the transmission. Stuck valve on the valve body, or torque convertor. Worse case is your going to have to pay for a tranmission rebuild or replacement. Only someone with the right tools and information on disassembly of a transmission can adjust/remove the bands. Change the fluid and filter and make sure it's at the correct level and see if it helps.

hratner
5

i just changed the fluid and ill test it in the morning. the fluid didnt look bad at all, but the people i bought it from i think were using the wrong kind. not type +3. thanks i hope its good.

45,605

It's a long shot but check the voltage at the battery with the engine running. Transmissions do funny things when operated with low voltages. Clean and tighten the connections while you're at it.

hratner
5

thats strange you mentioned that tenspeed. i have been having issues with power because of my stereo. idid clean one of the plugs but im not sure where the rest r at. i dont have a haynes or chiltens which i usually do. it seeems to be doing better but still in the 55- 60 mph range it wants to jutter or hesitate .

thejeepdoctor
1,465

replace the governor pressure sensor and transducer. common problem. should fix it. gotta drop the pan to get to it.

thejeepdoctor
1,465

when you adj bands, ther shound be abt 1/4 in. free play in between lever and piston. Ft. band is second gear. rear band is reverse and manual low.