why does the starter not disengage

Joy Harter
50

Asked by Joy Dec 27, 2013 at 02:39 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet S-10 2 Dr LS Standard Cab SB

about 9 months ago we replaced the starter and slinoid on our 2000 chevy s10 because it would not disengage when we started it, it was clanging bad and its still doing it, we have to raise the hood put the relay in start the truck then pull the relay, if we leave the relay in the starter stays engaged, we've replaced the relay also. any ideas on the problem? we've had people tell us a short somewhere. Im so tired of raising the hood everytime I have to start the truck, rain, snow, cold, I hate it. need advice. can't afford a mechanic to look at it.

Joy Harter
50

Its auto, not standard.