Is it possible to remove cigarette odor from car

bluzdoctor
0

Asked by bluzdoctor Jul 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM about the 2001 Honda CR-V LX AWD

I am in the market for a used car, and found one in great condition and low miles, but the
original owner must've been a chain smoker as there is a yellow cast to all the interior
around the drivers area, and you can smell the odor from ten feet away when the
windows are down. The dealer hadn't yet cleaned/inspected the vehicle, but the manager
assured me they contract with a company that specializes in removing smoke odor from
vehicles, using cleaners and ion machines....can the smoking odors really be
eliminated???

68,015

They can, but maybe not 100%. The smell might go away for a little bit, but might come back slightly, say on a hot day, or when you have the AC or heat on. They don't clean under the seats and other small areas. If you don't like smoke, you won't be happy IMO. Find another car to purchase.

Racer_X
11,835

As a non-smoker myself, I would NEVER even consider buying a used car previously owned by a smoker. However, from what I've read, dealers can use ionizing machines and cleaners to get MOST of the smell out...The smell make still linger in the ventilation system, from the headliner and even the carpets. If you're ok with that, I would suggest using this as you negotiate price and get a LOWER price on the CR-V.

68,015

I recent test drove a car that the previous owner smoke cigars in the car and it was cleaned. I could smell it, it was horrible. The dealer said they would clean it again. I passed on it.