I get a washboard sound when towing and turning left or right from a stop.

rhunning
10

Asked by rhunning Sep 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM about the 1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4 Dr Lariat 4WD Crew Cab LB

I have a 1999 F-350 Super Duty 4X4 crew cab with 255K miles. When I tow my 5th wheel camper and make a left or right turn (Left is worse) I get a washboard sound. It has done this since 120K miles but is really getting bad. Transmission was rebuilt 25K ago.Where should I look? (Rear end, Universal joints) Please advise!  Thanks

6,535

It sounds a though you may have a concern with the spider gears or the Locking Diff components. When is the last time you had the rear wheel bearings serviced? They require periodic maintenance. An inexpensive check would be to remove the Differential fill plug and check it for metal debris (it has a magnet built into it) or you could jack up the rear, pull the diff cover and watch the gears while someone turns the rear wheels.