Gas Mileage

David Woods
0

Asked by David Dec 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Impala LS

trying to figure out, normally my impala averages 26 to 28mpg... and if i'm running straight highway
low 30's however i had to take a trip out of state and i went all the way there, back home and to
work the next day and ended up putting like 186 miles on that tank of gas, probably 95% of which
was highway driving however my car only used 4.75 gallons of fuel, which would mean my car got
39mpg??? I didn't think that was possible or that car would even get close to getting that kinda gas
mileage? any possible explinations?

45,595

The tank may have not been filled up all the way. See if your MPG's next tank drop way below your average. I keep track of my fuel usage on Fuelly.com and Gasbuddy.com - give them a try.

12,815

Sometimes those auto shut offs can act goofy. If by some odd chance you got an extra gallon over full the last time you filled and this time it shut off a gallon short, that's two gallons unaccounted for which would put you at 27-28 MPG.