Front end alignment, I know I need an alignment on my car b/c one front tire is almost bald but only on the outer edge. but the Big0 tire place says I should align all 4, front and back, true? No uneven wear on back tires

AshlynLiv
0

Asked by AshlynLiv Mar 07, 2013 at 09:20 PM about the 1997 Toyota Corolla CE

Do I need to have them do all four wheels when only front looks uneven?

DavidH25

I think not. If your tire wear on the rear looks OK, go ahead with the front but don't worry about the back. They just want to 'sell' the alignment. It will do no harm, but cost you.

Best Answer
DavidH25

And have it done somewhere else. Only because they tried to do something you probably don't need, and even get on the phone and "shop" for prices

Corollanut
485

Did they examine the car or did you just ask about having it aligned? Wear on just one side of the car could also be a bad strut, balljoint, Tie rod, etc. and they can't tell you unless they put it up and check things. I don't know if it's standard policy but the sears auto center near me will look at your car tell you what it needs for no charge and you can let them do it or take it somewhere else or do it yourself.

AshlynLiv
0

Hi, no nobody did anything but look not even take it back in to shop area dealer service writer said I need alignment 2 new tires put new on back and cost 600 dollars. so i went to tire store and they said almost exactly the same thing but tire shop will do it for 275 and I don't know how to do it myself but thank you for advice

Corollanut
485

A simple alignment may or may not solve the problem or you may pay 300 for tires and have the same wear problem 6 months down the road, and they would love to sell you another set of tires. Good Luck

Michael Tutty
4,075

How long since the last time the rear wheels were aligned? They are adjustable on the Carolla. Proper alignment helps fuel economy as well as saving wear. If the rear has not been aligned in several years, it is worth doing. Also, if the one wheel is that far off, the pull could easily have put other wheels out of alignment. I figure it is cheap insurance to do it. One good piece of advice you did get was to have the new tires put on the back with the old rears moved to the front. You always want your best tires on the rear of the car.