How to retime the timing on my engine?

DJKevO
0

Asked by DJKevO Feb 08, 2013 at 02:37 PM about the 1994 Toyota Celica GT Coupe

I have been driving my 1994 toyota celica for about a year and a half now since I bought it and I have had one
accident with it but it was only physical damage and from the crash my water pump cracked along with the radiator.
Which means I had to replace both and about a couple weeks ago I had changed my Water pump and timing belt
because of the crash and I have started to notice now that every time I go to accelerate the vehicle the car starts to
jerk as if there is not enough power and back fire on me from about 1000rpms to about 3500rpms. And the
situations has been getting worse since then. I have spoken to many car experts I would say and they have all given
me the same response. Either it's the type of gas I am using or it's my timing marks that are misplaced. I need to
figure out how to retime my engine. And very soon because this is the only car I have to get around with. Please let
me know what you think and what I should do. Thank you

49,675

The timing marks are on the cam shafts. You set them when you changed the timing belt a couple of weeks ago. Did you actually change the timing belt or the serpentine belt that drives the alternator and water pump? Try a new set of plugs and wires before taking the engine apart.

Best Answer
DJKevO
0

Yes I replaced the actual belts. I did check my timing marks and they were aligned according to the light gun. I shall check the wires and spark plugs next.