Subaru Engine Compability

MABE197
0

Asked by MABE197 May 24, 2013 at 01:45 PM about the 1999 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr GT AWD Wagon

I am thinking about to replace the engine of my 99 Subaru Legacy and I found one from a 97 Subaru Legacy Outback that looks the same my engine nimber is EJ25DAXEYL and the Outback Subaru is EJ25DAXCYL so
de only difference betwwn number is just one letter ( E and C) is this going to be a problem that I should be aware or they are 100% compatible?

Nick Eidemiller
1,915

the EJ25DAXCYL is completely a "phase 1" motor, the EJ25DAXEYL uses the phase 2 shortblock motor and only slightly different intake manifold, but still the phase 1 heads heads, another thing different on the EJ25DAXEYL is a newer style coil pack and thinner boot spark plugs. Overall you could drop it in and be just fine it's not 100% the same but it's not like it's going to run incorrectly.

Jeff Smith
775

Depending on what the issue is, it may be more worth your while to swap short blocks rather than the complete motor. The short blocks are interchangeable with a slight change in compression.