'98 Legacy L Spitting and sputtering

Asked by ironhead1021 Jul 08, 2013 at 11:28 AM about the 1998 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr L AWD Wagon

I own a 98 Legacy L, 2.2L engine. i was driving recently and had the car start to spit and sputter no matter if i backed off the gas or pushed the peddle to the floor. I sucked down a quarter tank of gas like nothing! The check engine light came on, blinked, then stayed on. I had a friend check the codes, misfire and an injector came up. I replaced all the plugs and plug wires, then replaced injector 2. It ran like a dream the first couple times it was fired up. Then it started the spitting and sputtering again. Any ideas what this could be? The top half of the engine has been taken apart to fix the timing belt. After that was done, it seemed as if it had a loss of power at take off. After fixing the plugs and injector, that issue seemed to be resolved as well.
I'm at a loss as to what to look at next, or where to go from here.
Thanks for reading!!

Since the issues started after you replaced the timing belt , I'd say you don't have the timing setup properly.

get your diagnostic trouble codes read...would tell us what the CEL is trying to say....off hand would say the throttle position sensor is worn, but this is a "wild burro" guess, get a scanner for about 20 bucks or get a printout from the autoparts store~

I didn't realize it had been since July that I posted this question. So here's the deal now *ugh* Miss fire on 2, and injector 2 were the codes coming up. Soooo, I replaced the plugs, plug wires, injector 2 and finally the ignition coil. One the ignition coil was replaced, it ran like a dream for 2-3 days. Then all of the sudden the check engine light came on, blinked, then stayed steady. It was at this point that I started smelling gas while there was smoke coming out of the tail pipe. The engine was still running rough. It would start to idle at about 1-1.5 rpm, then drop to almost nothing. Like it wanted to die, but it just sits there and idles rough and keeps running. *smh* i'm at a loss here. I've fixed everything that could be causing those codes, yet after the check engine light had reset itself, I thought I was in the clear. however, I took it back to the auto parts store, and it's still showing the same codes. Grrrrrrr Any further ideas? I could sure use some brain storming!

Jeff Smith

Tom's first suggestion of the timing being off would be my guess. However, if you've verified that the timing is correct, there are a few other steps you can try. Try swapping injectors between cylinders, then clear the codes and see if the misfire code returns on the same cylinder or a different one. Do the same with the plug wires.

Sorry but I know its your pcm keeping ejector 2 on the who time so when the piston goes up it pushes out the (extra gass) gass the wasnt ignited to your header then you cat. Through the muffler out the pipe don't believe me do a oil change you might see gass in it. Hope it helped