Will a 1996 Legacy 2.2L AWD engine fit a 2004 Outback AWD body?

Robbin Harder
0

Asked by Robbin Aug 20, 2013 at 08:49 AM about the 1996 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr L AWD Wagon

I have Legacy AWD wagon with the 2.2 L engine and the body has started falling apart. Picked up a rock the other day and the windshield now needs to be replaced however the body around the windshield needs to be repaired due to rust in order to replace the windshield. In the last year the rust has spread drastically and has attacked nearly everywhere (Wisconsin winters and road salt). I found a 2004 Outback AWD with a 2.5 L engine that is blown for far less than what the repairs on my car will cost (and the body is perfect). Is it possible to change out the blown motor and/or transmission if needed for my 2.2 L?

Jeff Smith
955

That is not an easy swap, it would require a merge of the two wiring harnesses. You would be better off finding a 2.5 L motor from a 99+ Forester, Impreza, or Legacy in order to swap it into that 2004 Outback.

Robbin Harder
0

Thanks, that's what I was worried about. I found a 99 Outback Limited and three 97-99 Legacy wagons that all have pretty decent bodies too. Trying to find out what size engines were in them and if they were automatic or manual so I know if my guts will fit.

Jeff Smith
955

Your engine won't easily drop into anything newer than a 98, your motor is a phase 1 and 99 and later had the phase 2 motor. The change in phases meant for a completely different intake manifold and wiring, which won't swap between phases. It's not an issue of displacement or size of the engine, but the phase 1 vs. phase 2 difference.

suba99
0

thanks for the info I myself have been beatin my head trying to fit a 96 ej22 into my 99 legacy and i come to find that the intake manifold in fact wont fit