Blown Head gasket

Danielle Hewitt
10

Asked by Danielle Apr 24, 2010 at 02:44 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe

So I'm just looking for some information and any help on why and what I should do about my head gasket
going. I just got my cobalt not even two years ago.. and already the head gasket is busted. :( Background: I
bought it w/ 12,000 miles and it was basically brand new. I've maintained it properly, with the exception of a
mistake on my part to let my ex bf change the oil. He insisted that I shouldn't (even though I've done it plenty
before, either because he's an idiot or didn't think I could - I don't know). Anyway, after taking it to his mom's
for no reason and hitting a serious sheet of metal on the highway and busting my side panel (sorry for ranting)
he supposedly changed the oil. Granted it was black a week later when I checked it so I did it again. That was
last august. It had been running fine since, but within the last two months running a bit hot (~210F) The coolant
and everything looked fine. 2 weeks ago the temp shot up to 300+ (to the point where it just said ---F on the
info system). After stopping multiple times to let it cool down I made it home (I was about an hour out) and it
died that night smoking and shaking. Checked it the next day - oil was 2x as full and tinted orange with no
coolant left in the reservoir. I only have 40K miles on this car and I'm not looking to get rid of it (besides, I still
owe a decent chunk of change on it). I called around and the dealership I got it from (Dorchel used in
Henrietta) said it would be about $840 in labor and no est. on parts. Also, someone my family knows owns the
garage Eagle Transmission in Rochester. I don't know anything about the work they do there but he said him
and his buddy would do it for $1500. I'm used to my beater cars and, between my dad and I, fixing them
ourselves. This is out of my knowledge base :( PLEASE HELP!!! (Sorry such a long post.)

Danielle Hewitt
10

Ps. It's a 2.2L Ecotec engine.

Matt Tuccillo
55

if its 840 in labor from the dealer it should be less that 1500 with parts so thats your best bet. and for future knowledge if the car overheats it means somethings wrong. letting it cool down and then continuing to drive it will just cause more damage

Justin Hoskins
65

Have you had this car somewhere to be looked at? I would say more than likely you either warped or cracked the cylinder head from overheating not blowing a head gasket. As for the oil changed that wouldn't have affected the situation.