engine swap on a 2003 forester?

carsonward1
0

Asked by carsonward1 Oct 17, 2013 at 04:08 PM about the 2003 Subaru Forester XS

I have a 2003 Subaru forester 2.5 xs and I would like to upgrade my engine for an XT model or something that will get me going faster. I want to do it but I don't have a clue where to start. I know I would need a new engine but I am not sure which is best, also would I need to change the transmission and anything else?

Nick Eidemiller
3,795

you'd need the engine and the ECU, possibly the wiring harness, if the engine didn't come with a turbo, intercooler, and piping, which a lot wont, then you're gonna have to get all of that as well. Honestly you'd have a better time buying an XT model because you'll pay way too much if having a shop do it and it's more time and money than it's worth to do the swap yourself vs buying an XT.

Jeff Smith
1,475

Nick's right, you would need the wiring harness as well as the keys for the immobilizer, the engine cross member, and a few other odds and ends. The only reason I would contemplate doing that is if I found a cheap rear-ended and wrecked out Forester XT that I could get all the parts on and do it myself. Otherwise, I would sell the XS and purchase an XT.