Why is my 2006 Grand Prix whining when it is cold?

GrandPrixOwner
0

Asked by GrandPrixOwner Dec 20, 2011 at 09:55 AM about the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Base

I'm thinking it's the power steering fluid, but when looking at the manual, it says you
should never have to top it up. It's a whining sound, and is only really prevalent
when my car has sat overnight.  

Jonathan Furse
2,015

If there's a dipstick for the power steering fluid, check it and top it off if necessary. I'd imagine that it's just the accessory belts warming up though. Cars tend to develop little quirks and personality as they age.

pbjunkie86
335

Does the sound you hear get worse when turning the wheel??? If not how long until it goes away??? if it gets worse when you turn then it is most likely a power steering pump but I have seen a bad power steering rack cause a similar problem..... if all fluid levels are normal then have your local shop check out your power steering system.

drdc
85

If it is a high pitched whine only when it's started cold,and as the engine warms up it goes away,or stops whining shortly after starting,you may want to get your alternator checked and battery,the reason for this is,when the battery is low on reserve power it makes the alternator work over time the noise you hear is the two magnetic forces inside the alt working at maximum load.If you take it to a shop,a few thing's that's nice to know about alternator's,they can only produce 14.7volts max any more than that and you are getting a.c voltage,if you check the battery with a charger put a volt meter across the terminals when it's on charge if the voltage reading is more than 14.7volts then the battery is not good.I hope some of the info is helpful. DRDC

GrandPrixOwner
0

Yes, when it's cold it gets worse when I'm turning. This morning it wasn't very cold out, and there was no whining sound at all, even after sitting all night.

Jonathan Furse
2,015

It could be the bearings on the power steering pump pulley going out.

pbjunkie86
335

I have the same car and it is a very big Pain in the butt to check your fluid level because the fluid reservoir is behind the engine. You have to get your arm back there however you can to check the level. If it is low use a Funnel with a long hose stuck on the end of it to be able to fill the reservoir so you do not make a big mess all over the floor of your garage. If your fluid levels are normal then you need to have a shop check out your pump and or steering rack. Sometimes when your rack is cold the seals inside shrink and let air in the system, it will make that noise once the fluid warms up and the seals start to take there shape again it slowly disappears. Hope this helps a little bit.

GrandPrixOwner
0

Yes, that helped a lot. Thank you very much. Cheers.

trip65

try adding some p/s fluid you might have a leak .

Kurt Patrick
0

I have this same issue, trying to find more information

Kurt Patrick
0

Initially my brother put some power steering fluid in and that kept it fairly quiet for awhile. Recently it has started getting colder out and when I start it up and press the gas a bit, it get's louder. As the car warms it up it tends to get better but it's constant. I just listened to it more and the noise is coming right from the alternator/pulley area...