cutlass supreme. Car chugs and looses power when gas pedal is pressed half way.

Jake Dille
0

Asked by Jake Sep 08, 2011 at 06:11 PM about the 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 Dr S Sedan

My car starts and idles great, but when I press the gas down almost half way it starts to chug
and jerk really bad and looses power. It goes about 65mph max on highway, and about 35mph
max up hill. I just changed the manifold gaskets in the car due to coolant in the oil and changed
the spark plugs, before I did this the car was running great. I was thinking maybe the fuel filter
needs changed. Any information would be great. All ideas welcome. Thanks.

corvettevega
0

The simplist of things can cause this, i would replace the fuel filter it sounds to be clogged and is starving the motor for fuel.

Steve Chavis
0

could be , one fuel pump filter, vacuum hoses might be loose, PVC valve clogged, fuel filter, gap in spark plugs I had the same problem and I tore down the engine and saw that my spark plugs were not gap right, and one of my vacuum hoses came off of the map sensor, also had to change the head gasket because of oil and coolant in the cyclinder

_Trumper
45

Sorry guys, but I think you're all very close, but to me it sounds like a plugged up catilist converter. It exaust well enough at idle and non p[ower mode, but it wont leave enough room for above average exaust. Disconect it and try without it, and no great expense spent for repairs.