3.1 crankshaft .sensor ?

mobilass
0

Asked by mobilass Jan 17, 2010 at 10:58 PM about the 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 Dr SL Sedan

It's a 90 model won't start no fire. Anyway i won't to replace the crank sensor, I was reading that it was at the rear of the motor close to oilpan, is this correct?  I put one on my moms that has the 3800 seris motor, it was behind the balancer. If so how hard are these to replace moms was pretty tuff for me anyway

Danny Wang
2,435

the location of crankshaft sensor is correct as stated on many sites and according to AutoZone.com under component location it states "Under hood, center, rear engine area, passenger side of exhaust pipe, above oil pan, mounted in engine block" this link may or may not work here it is to try http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/componentlocations/componentLocationMain.jsp?categoryNValue=4294963514&categoryName=Crankshaft+Position+Sensor# I have never done it myself, but here is a link to someone that has done it on a similar sister car that you have 1990 Chevrolet Lumina 3.1L http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_find_and_replace_the_crankshaft_sensor_on_a_1990_Chevy_Lumina_3.1_Without_having_to_pull_off_the_wheel_spray_guard hopefully this helps

grneyedblnd
10

My son has a 1990 Cutlass Supreme too and it won't fire either. We replace the crankshaft sensor, which was tight to get to, but not difficult to replace. The bad part is, it didn't help. The car still won't fire!! We have tried almost everything including fuel pump, fuel filter, checked spark plugs and everything. The only thing we can think of is the computer board itself. Hopefully that will work, otherwise, it will be a junkyard car!!!

Ron Davis
0

There is a fuse for the ECM under the glove box, check that.

pappy15445
0

Be sure to check the ignition module -the coils are mounted to the module...if sensor was not the issue and the car will fire up and drive until hot then refuse to re-fire until cooled down and it isn't sensor ,most likely culprit is the ignition module.

pappy15445
0

a quick additional note -sorry ---also be sure to check that you have voltage at the connector that plugs into the crank sensor from the wiring harness--they are known to go bad..and a replacement can be had at autozone --maybe elsewhere as well-- for 14.99---otherwise i would strongly suspect the ignition module until i ruled it out..--good luck.