idle issues.. my oldsmobile cutlass cierra is overrevving in park and neutral gears its an auto..and then when i switch it into gear the rpms drop off an it acts like its choking and then its normal.

Tommy Sage
25

Asked by Tommy Feb 05, 2013 at 01:26 PM about the 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 4 Dr S Sedan

Any ideas from the gurus? It idles high then change to a drive gear and it drops off low to almost shutting off sounds like choking
and then goes to normal idling. havent noticed any difference in actual driving. also its a 1995 but the description doesnt list a
1995

45,885

A vacuum leak might be the cause. Check the large hose from the brake booster to the engine.

Michael Tutty
4,075

Definitely check for a vacuum leak. Which engine is under the hood? If it is the 3800, a vacuum leak is definitely the most likely cause. If one of the smaller engines, I would suspect an intake manifold gasket leak. If there are no vacuum leaks, I would check out the throttle position sensor and crank position sensor. Either one can cause these symptoms as well.

Tommy Sage
25

its a 3.1 v6 i believe..

Tommy Sage
25

turned out to be a tps problem. not sure what that is but its all fixed now, it made it easy to find once the engine light came on.

Bradley Shelledy
665

I'd say it's most likely a vacuum leak

Michael Tutty
4,075

TPS is your Throttle Position Sensor. It was misreading the throttle opening.