1992 Lincoln Town Car, mfg'd June, intermittently the "trunk lid pull down motor" will not pull down the lid.

Herbert6666
50

Asked by Herbert6666 Oct 25, 2012 at 11:38 AM about the 1992 Lincoln Town Car Signature

When closing the trunk lid the trunk lid will not pull down, intermittently. Where is the "lid pull down motor"
and the "trunk lid ajar switch" located?     Thanks, Herbert6666,  e-mail:  Lo1297@aol.com

DavidH25

The motor for that is right there by the pull down hook, in between the taillights hooked right up to the mechanism. The 'ajar' sensor, that I don't know

Herbert6666
50

Thank you very much DAVIDH25, I will try to remove the motor assly and see if I can find something loose, also will try and locate the "trunk lid ajar switch" which should be located on the trunk lid.

DavidH25

You're quite welcome and yes the sensor to light the warning light on the instrument panel is right there, I looked up that since I posted that a few days ago. Can you hear the motor run when you close it?

Herbert6666
50

Thank you for the information, No, when you pull the lid down to close the trunk I do not hear any noise from the motor. However if you leave the lid hooked after awhile the pull down motor will pull the lid closed. It may continue to pull the lid closed for a few days, then one day it will not pull down. Thanks Herbert6666

Herbert6666
50

Again thanks DavidH25, I did find the problems with the pull down assly. (1) Found the power cable going to the assly not properly connected, also, (2) found the up/down switch in the wrong position with the pull down bar in the down position. With the assly removed and the power cable unplugged , put the up/down switch in the proper position and plugging the cable back in the motor came on and reset the pull down bar. re-installed the assly. All works like new. Thanks Herbert6666