Car sputtering after started check engine light came on

csyptrc
20

Asked by csyptrc Dec 14, 2013 at 02:28 PM about the 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD

judge_roy

I'm going to suspect a bad ground...that will not allow the heated 02 sensors to come up to HOT enough to affect PROPER combustion....of course this is just a guess, but if you took the main black 1/0 cable from the battery to where it is a lug that bolts to the frame....take that one off and wirebrush 'till no discoloration and the place where it bolts to as well to establish a STRONG ground for the chassis and all systems....also a five year old battery will start to give your alternator struggles and will not run the electronics to full potential~...so get a NEW one~...good luck with this car~

31,075

Have your check engine light codes checked. Your local auto parts will do this for free. Then post code numbers back on here so we can better help you figure out what the issues are.

csyptrc
20

I am afraid to drive it anywhere as it may die on me.

judge_roy

have AAA tow it to your local garage....with membership you get the first two for FREE~

31,075

You will need to have the codes to know where to start with repairs. Buy a code reader. Can get one for about $20 now I think. Judge_roy can you post the code reader you normally do? Thanks

csyptrc
20

Thanks judge roy for answer do not have AAA but my car insurance covers towing. Just feel safer especially with 6 inches of snow on ground.