The parking brake light is permanently on even after I released the parking brake, although it does no disturb my driving but I wonder why Its not going off! What could possible be the problem?

b3_d
50

Asked by b3_d Feb 20, 2013 at 01:02 PM about the 2006 Ford Explorer XLS V6

18,295

have you checked the brake fluid level? if it is low it will casuse the red brake light to be on. someitmes the switch for the park brake will stick making the light stay on too.

62,485

On some cars, the light has two functions. It shows when the parking brake handle is up and it shows when the brake fluid level is low. Check your fluid level.

b3_d
50

The fluid level is ok and the parking brake released too! But the light stays on!

18,295

ive seen the brake fluid level switch go bad. the park brake switch could be faulty. you could have a wiring issue.

18,295

make sure the float in the master cylinder is acutally floating and not stuck near the bottom

b3_d
50

The aBS light is permanently on too

18,295

oh okay. thats why the red light is on also there is a fault in the abs system you need to have it scanned and get whatever dtc it has set and go from there

ntla
0

Thanks for the tip. Brake fluid was low. Put more in and after I put the cap back on pumped the brakes a few times after I started the car and the light went off.