Cost To Replace a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT Transmission

Bob Wagner
10

Asked by Bob Dec 02, 2013 at 03:39 PM about the 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

What should I expect to pay to have a transmission replaced in my Ford Explorer XLT
2002 vehicle - rebuilt or used?

91,695

Rebuilt around $1500-$2000 is a good estimate, Used maybe half that, then add labor to install, so your probably in the same ballpark. Personally I'd go with a rebuilt by a competent trans shop with a warranty.

9,945

This is where I have to hand it to the dealer (sorry guys). For about the price Tom states (which is right), Ford offers Genuine rebuilt transmissions with a 3 year / unlimited mileage warranty at no extra cost. I don't mean to toot the dealer's horn but it is a pretty good deal.

OJ
4,310

Something must have changed. The guy around the corner who worked for AAmco stated Ford dealerships would call him up when they needed a rebuilt tranny.

9,945

Could be that there's a limited number of transmission models and years available.

OJ
4,310

I doubt you need an entire rebuilt tranny, unless the vehicle has been dogged or some catastrophe failure. The last time I needed tranny repair was 1999. A guy I went to HS with took over his dads shop about 40 years ago. He repaired my 1996 explorer tranny by removing it and replacing some part(s) My nephew still has the truck and it over 300K. The only thing he does is bring it back to the tranny shop every 40K for a complete oil change and filter. Cost about 80 bucks.

OJ
4,310

Could be Tracy. I was having a little problem with the 2003 a while back (overdrive light occassionally and bad shifting) I brought it to my guy and he said it was a ten minute - electronic bolt on gizmo and cost about 40 bucks. I asked if I could replace the tranny (v6) with something more sturdy. He told me there was only one tranny for the V6, that's it, no upgrades.

Bob Wagner
10

Well my 2002 Explorer XLT failed New York State inspection. It threw three trans codes. Two were about failing gears which fails the inspection. Funny thing is the car rides fine on long and short hauls. Was told to take the car to AAMCO. So I was charge $100 for the ultimate diagnosis and accurate repair estimate. The estimate was to rebuild it and started at about $3500 but could not be guaranteed until they actually got inside the transmission.. So at that point with the shop I had an open ended estimate. Not going get involved with that. So it sounds like I was going to be seriously over charged.

OJ
4,310

Bob, If there is a tranny shop in N.Y. that has been family owned for a generation go there and have them check it out. For 3500 bucks, or a lot less, you can probably get a remanufactured trasmission. Keep in mind the difference between rebuild and remanufacturer. Rebuild means repair the tranny up to the point where it failed. Remanufacturer is totally different, And they do not remanufacture trannys at AAmco.

Bob Wagner
10

Oj Can you tell me the name and location of the family owned trans shop? Thanks, Bob

OJ
4,310

Bob: I live in So. Louisiana. I'll give you the name and address if you want, but it is a long ride.

Bob Wagner
10

OJ, Thanks I did not read you answer correctly, but I used to live in New Orleans 23 years ago.

Kelly Krug
345

Commenting on Tracy's comment to go to the Ford dealership ... I would not feel confident replacing a Ford transmission with another Ford transmission. Every Explorer we've owned has had transmission problems. We've maintained the vehicle, and yet it's almost a given that when they reach a certain mileage, they're goners.

9,945

OK, for a little insight about Ford's remanufactured transmissions: Ford Motor Company does not rebuild them - an authorized remanufacturer does. Ford specs them and supplies the parts. - Not all dogs bite. Most are abused. -

OJ
4,310

I've owned Explorers since 1996, all v6's. The 96 tranny went out at about 60K, The family owned shop repaired it. The 99 went out at about 75K, The family owned shop repaired it. In both instances my friend told me to bring it back every 40K for a complete fluid change and new filter. (about 80 bucks a pop) No more problems. The 96 has about 280K and the 99 just turned 200K. My 2003 has been in every 40K for the procedure since new. Pushing 120K with only one problem, a bolt exterior part having something to do with the overdrive. Forget about the 90K change interval listed in the owners manual.

OJ
4,310

Bob: I'm not familiar with the vehicle inspection department of N.Y., but I find it suspicious a state inspection facility would find faults with a tranny you state works perfectly fine then suggest you bring it to a particular repair shop for an estimate. I may be overly suspicious, but I would probably bring it to a Ford dealership, and without telling them about what the inspection department said, have them check it out. Or go to a different inspection location for another bite at the apple.

ericalove
20

I have 2002 ford explorer this morning i warmed it up before going to work.i pulled out my driveway drove a block In the o/d light came on i pulled over to find transmission leaking from under the truck then wouldn't go in any gear neutral did work so we could push it .the truck was fine when i was leaving my home a round piece we found on ground where leak started o/d didn't come on until almost all fluid was out anyone know what that piece could be and do i need a hole new transmission or

9,945

Without seeing the part it would be only a wild guess at what it could be. You should tow it to a tranny shop for a diagnosis. Hold on to your wallet!

Habenero34
20

Ford put in a new (or remanufactered) tranny at 175K miles. Cost approx. $4K. 60K miles later and I need to have the tranny repaired again (out of warranty). I trust the local AAMCO dealer - estimated $2K to rebuild it.

Kelly Krug
345

Wow $4000!! I would think that warranty should have been for a lifetime.