Cost To Replace a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT Transmission

Bob Wagner
30

Asked by Bob Dec 02, 2013 at 03:39 PM about the 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

What should I expect to pay to have a transmission replaced in my Ford Explorer XLT
2002 vehicle - rebuilt or used?

132,955

Rebuilt around $1500-$2000 is a good estimate, Used maybe half that, then add labor to install, so your probably in the same ballpark. Personally I'd go with a rebuilt by a competent trans shop with a warranty.

13,855

This is where I have to hand it to the dealer (sorry guys). For about the price Tom states (which is right), Ford offers Genuine rebuilt transmissions with a 3 year / unlimited mileage warranty at no extra cost. I don't mean to toot the dealer's horn but it is a pretty good deal.

OJ
7,910

Something must have changed. The guy around the corner who worked for AAmco stated Ford dealerships would call him up when they needed a rebuilt tranny.

13,855

Could be that there's a limited number of transmission models and years available.

OJ
7,910

I doubt you need an entire rebuilt tranny, unless the vehicle has been dogged or some catastrophe failure. The last time I needed tranny repair was 1999. A guy I went to HS with took over his dads shop about 40 years ago. He repaired my 1996 explorer tranny by removing it and replacing some part(s) My nephew still has the truck and it over 300K. The only thing he does is bring it back to the tranny shop every 40K for a complete oil change and filter. Cost about 80 bucks.

OJ
7,910

Could be Tracy. I was having a little problem with the 2003 a while back (overdrive light occassionally and bad shifting) I brought it to my guy and he said it was a ten minute - electronic bolt on gizmo and cost about 40 bucks. I asked if I could replace the tranny (v6) with something more sturdy. He told me there was only one tranny for the V6, that's it, no upgrades.

Bob Wagner
30

Well my 2002 Explorer XLT failed New York State inspection. It threw three trans codes. Two were about failing gears which fails the inspection. Funny thing is the car rides fine on long and short hauls. Was told to take the car to AAMCO. So I was charge $100 for the ultimate diagnosis and accurate repair estimate. The estimate was to rebuild it and started at about $3500 but could not be guaranteed until they actually got inside the transmission.. So at that point with the shop I had an open ended estimate. Not going get involved with that. So it sounds like I was going to be seriously over charged.

OJ
7,910

Bob, If there is a tranny shop in N.Y. that has been family owned for a generation go there and have them check it out. For 3500 bucks, or a lot less, you can probably get a remanufactured trasmission. Keep in mind the difference between rebuild and remanufacturer. Rebuild means repair the tranny up to the point where it failed. Remanufacturer is totally different, And they do not remanufacture trannys at AAmco.

Bob Wagner
30

Oj Can you tell me the name and location of the family owned trans shop? Thanks, Bob

OJ
7,910

Bob: I live in So. Louisiana. I'll give you the name and address if you want, but it is a long ride.

Bob Wagner
30

OJ, Thanks I did not read you answer correctly, but I used to live in New Orleans 23 years ago.

Kelly Krug
615

Commenting on Tracy's comment to go to the Ford dealership ... I would not feel confident replacing a Ford transmission with another Ford transmission. Every Explorer we've owned has had transmission problems. We've maintained the vehicle, and yet it's almost a given that when they reach a certain mileage, they're goners.

13,855

OK, for a little insight about Ford's remanufactured transmissions: Ford Motor Company does not rebuild them - an authorized remanufacturer does. Ford specs them and supplies the parts. - Not all dogs bite. Most are abused. -

OJ
7,910

I've owned Explorers since 1996, all v6's. The 96 tranny went out at about 60K, The family owned shop repaired it. The 99 went out at about 75K, The family owned shop repaired it. In both instances my friend told me to bring it back every 40K for a complete fluid change and new filter. (about 80 bucks a pop) No more problems. The 96 has about 280K and the 99 just turned 200K. My 2003 has been in every 40K for the procedure since new. Pushing 120K with only one problem, a bolt exterior part having something to do with the overdrive. Forget about the 90K change interval listed in the owners manual.

OJ
7,910

Bob: I'm not familiar with the vehicle inspection department of N.Y., but I find it suspicious a state inspection facility would find faults with a tranny you state works perfectly fine then suggest you bring it to a particular repair shop for an estimate. I may be overly suspicious, but I would probably bring it to a Ford dealership, and without telling them about what the inspection department said, have them check it out. Or go to a different inspection location for another bite at the apple.

ericalove
40

I have 2002 ford explorer this morning i warmed it up before going to work.i pulled out my driveway drove a block In the o/d light came on i pulled over to find transmission leaking from under the truck then wouldn't go in any gear neutral did work so we could push it .the truck was fine when i was leaving my home a round piece we found on ground where leak started o/d didn't come on until almost all fluid was out anyone know what that piece could be and do i need a hole new transmission or

13,855

Without seeing the part it would be only a wild guess at what it could be. You should tow it to a tranny shop for a diagnosis. Hold on to your wallet!

Habenero34
20

Ford put in a new (or remanufactered) tranny at 175K miles. Cost approx. $4K. 60K miles later and I need to have the tranny repaired again (out of warranty). I trust the local AAMCO dealer - estimated $2K to rebuild it.

Kelly Krug
615

Wow $4000!! I would think that warranty should have been for a lifetime.

jwesley4152
45

I have a 2002 Expedition XLT 5.4l and it will not drive fastener than 15 MPH... Do I need to replace the entire transmission?

OJ
7,910

Jwesley4152. If your problem is within the tranny, it sounds like the torque converter needs replacing.

Twinmommy
10

I have a 2002 Explorer V6 . Trying to accelerate it seemed like my 2nd gear went out.. .once I got to 30 mph it was fine..Tried taking it to a shop to check fluids, but I was scared I wouldnt make it so turned around and came home. Does this mean new tranny?

OJ
7,910

Not necessarily. There are electronic systems to your vehicle which governs when it shifts. It could be that. Try to find a family owned tranny shop which has been around for a while. Personally, I stay away from national chain concerns

Rohan Foster
5

Dealer cost for 2002 re-manifactored tranny $4,850 plus tax ,I could buy another car...Just saying...

OJ
7,910

Purchased a 2002 re-manufacturered 4.0 engine and had it installed for 3G's. Reman tranny cost much less, if one is required. Dealer cost much more than reputable shop. Just saying,

mrsford2002
10

well i have a 2002 ford explorer xlt lately the overdrive light had been flickering now my truck stalls and goes to 3 or 4 rpms and drags then kicks into gear for two mintes and do it again had it looked at and they said i had metal in the trans so its bad i need to replace it but it drove fine until they checked it

OJ
7,910

My2003 experienced the same problem with the OD light. Fortunately I grew up with a guy whose dad owned a tranny shop. We're in our 60's now and he operates the shop. Brought it to him and he placed an electronic reader on the engine and replaced some electronic gizmo in about twenty minutes. It's been working fine for four years. Try finding a mom and pop place in business for a while. Seems every time read about tranny problems the shops always recommends replacing it.

Jwhite81
5

Oj I was reading through responses on here and I will say I'm feeling a lot more hopeful. What was done to your 03? I have an 02 doing the same thing and if it could be fixed by the same process I'd like to know what to look for. As a single parent with a tight budget I would like to keep my 02 for a bit longer and you have given me hope with your experiences that a full transmission replacement may not be my only option. Thanks in advance to any information you'd have to help.

OJ
7,910

Allow me to explain further what mine was doing. Way back then, occasionally the OD light would come on and the vehicle would experience a mild shifting problem. Sometime the light would go off while driving, sometime stay on. When the vehicle was parked, the light would go off and not come back on after restarting and ran fine. I called the shop and the workman said when it comes on do not turn it off and immediately bring it to his shop and do not shut off the engine. I did as he said when it occurred and he plugged up a scanner to the engine, read a code and turned off the engine. I asked if I should leave the vehicle and he said just make myself comfortable he sending the runner for the part. Transmission did not come out of the vehicle to repair it and I was on my way in a little less than an hour. Minimal cost. That was five years ago and I cannot locate the receipt. I'll see him later this afternoon and ask if he can remember what he did. I'll get back later when I have the answer.

OJ
7,910

Caught him having his morning coffee. If my instance he stated the intermittent OD light was caused by a bad overdrive servo which did not require the tranny be removed from the vehicle for it to be replaced. Not saying that is the particular problem with your vehicle, but it is common within the 2000 to 2004, maybe later explorers. He did state, however, to rip out the maintenance page in the owners manual where it states to service the tranny with an oil and filter change every 90K. Have it performed every 30 to 40 K, It's a hundred bucks well spent.

You think this is helpful.
Megan Paulmary
0

OJ--we have identical problem. We had tried grabbing an output speed sensor, friend tried to get it on, couldn't loosen old one enough, his efforts kicked on the s fine light

Megan Paulmary
0

Oops--sorry. Kicked on the engine light. Took to a tranny shop that used to be great. Not any more. They say they swapped it but I don't think they did it right (too much to get into). Engine light stays on and od light still intermittent. They told us they don't know what's wrong and just get new trranny! So I'm going to another shop. What's the engine part he was referring to do u think?? Thanks so much.

Grace Barnett
0

how much transmission oil does a 1999 model hold please

Shannon Howell
0

I have a 02 Ford explorer with shift delaying issues. the engine runs great and I've replaced a ton of things on it. I had another 02 with similar issues and have had to replace all the same things on it but the transmission and it had more miles on it. I have changed the filter and did a flush on it and its seems to be driving better. Do I really need a new tranny?

Bob Wagner
30

Last year posed the question about replacing a 2002 Explorer transmission. Finally replaced it about a year ago and it was a success. This February with 166,000 original miles on it the engine through a rod according to my long-tie mechanic. He said he had seen more than the usual of this with this year Explorer. The expense of replacing the engine was more than the market value of the car so I scrapped it. As it turns out this particular year (2002) Explorer has been documented as one of the worst cars Ford has made in recent times. Transmissions and engines are well known for their premature failures. Virtually all tail gates have cracked(class action on this) and Aluminum hood starts to anodize early on. Ford acknowledges some of these issues but refuses to do anything about them. So I will never buy another Ford product. Buyers beware on purchasing this car or sinking any significant amount of money into it.