why does my car still blow cold air after changing the thermostat?

blazesecrest
0

Asked by blazesecrest Oct 14, 2012 at 05:11 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS

my car started blowing cold air when I took the radiator cap off the flued was thick brown sluge. so i flushed it twice and put a new thermosta in it but it still blows colair.

13,215

The cooling system in these cars must be bled. That is all the air removed after the cooling system is serviced. Set the heating controls to full heat & open the bleeder screw, which is probably located at or near the thermostat housing until coolant flows smoothly out. Leave the screw open for an additional 10 seconds & you should be all set. HTH. -Jim

12,905

You probably flushed it in the wrong direction and clogged it up even worse.

John Leone
3,855

does the engine temperature get to normal, or very close to it...if you ask me, even a clog in a cooling system means the engine runs hotter, not producing cool air, however there are other more common things causing this...one would be to flush the HEATER CORE, not radiator, but still not likely, rather an actuator door, motor in the dash is malfunctioning, gm also had issues with the physical dial/button on the console going bad that controls temp....message me if i can help further

12,905

A clogged heater core won't cause any noticeable change on the gauge.Check the hoses going to the heater core, they should be close to the same temp as the engine if both of them are cool to the touch then there is a clog