Car will not start

Dragons
0

Asked by Dragons Jan 07, 2013 at 01:53 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

When I try to start my car, the engine turns but won't start.   When I prime it, it will start and stay running until I turn the key off.  Than unless I prime it, it will not start.  I changed out the fuel relay mounted on the fire wall but  car will not start.... It has the 305 and  a manual trans.  The car had been sitting for about 7 months.  I know it is getting fulel up to the injectors.

Ronc258
2,570

Is it fuel injected as in throtle body in jection? or is it carbed? if it is carbed I would say that the ecelerator pump is week

45,695

It sounds like the ECU isn't getting the signal that it is cold. Fuel is getting to the fuel rail but not enough for a cold start.

Ronc258
2,570

How are you primeing it if it is fuel injected? starter fluid?

Dragons
0

With starter fluid.

shaggy1981

you could also check the fuel pressure regulator. they get weak bleed pressure back to the fuel tank and dont hold enough pressure in the fuel rail for start up until you crank them for a min.

Jim Demestihas
175

gunked up tank?

Dragons
0

I will check the fuel pressure but once I spray prime it it will run. Just won't restart unless I prime again.

Jim Demestihas
175

oh i thought it dies when you stop spraying starter fluid

12,865

Ignition switch is a possibility. Try turning the ignition switch to the on position and jump the starter. Large B+ terminal to the small s terminal. If it starts the ignition switch has a flat or burnt or broken spot in it.