Why is my airbag light on?

hoppy0420
0

Asked by hoppy0420 Sep 02, 2012 at 02:06 PM about the Hyundai Elantra

went over railroad tracks a bit too fast and the light has been on since then, but the bags have not deployed.

22,795

Sounds like a bad connection. Either at the sensors (front of car on or near the radiator support) or at the clock spring (in the steering column). With this light on steady your airbag(s) will NOT deploy. Even if you're in a collision. The light is warning you that the system has been disabled because the computer found a problem. HTH. -Jim

JML926
20

I've had the same problem on my 2013 Elantra. I got a run-around answer about my bag being in the passenger seat & it being too heavy. Neither of which are true. I will definitely keep on them about this. Thank you for your answer, Js08016! Do you know if it is a common problem?

22,795

I don't know if it is common for your Elantra. On GMs the usual culprit is the clockspring in the steering column. HTH. -Jim

kmmcab
50

Looks like it's a common issue, i have the same problem on my Hyundai Elantra

JML926
20

I called and took it in because that whole not deploying part was a little unsettling. It turns out the scale was not calibrated correctly. At least that's what they said. Either way the issue was resolved.

Ruth Santella-Nieves
0

We have the same problem with our Elantra...we had some electrical problems and after having to disconnect the battery the airbag light comes on all the time.

manley93
0

Just brought our 2011 Elantra in for airbag light on & they said it's the clockspring & want $250 to fix! Ugh