Reset anti theft system on 2001 Chevy Malibu

Stephanie White
30

Asked by Stephanie Mar 15, 2013 at 01:50 AM about the Chevrolet Malibu

My 2001 Malibu would not crank. It would turn over but would not crank, as if it wasn't getting fuel. I had this issue about a month ago and my friend changed plugs and wires, checked compression (good), and fuel system (good). The car ran and had no more issues cranking. I came home tonight, had to run to store, got in car to leave and the car did the same thing again. I began to google my symptoms and came across the anti theft issues. I went back to car and sure enough the anti theft light continued to blink., so I camped out in car with key "on", after 10 minutes the car started dinging (like door is open or low on gas) and anti lock light was off, so I tried to start car. It wouldn't start, acted like battery was dead, so I turned key in off position, the gages and head lights (dim) wouldn't go off, so I tried to start it again, thinking it might need to be toggled, but when I tried to start it, the dash went black and headlights went off! I turned key back to off position and dash lit up and all gages went across the dial, then back to normal, car still wouldn't start, no click, anything, and then all went black, like it was turned off. I turned key back off and everyrhing came back on (radio too, door dinging and all)....I wiggled the key until all was off and left it. Any ideas? Why does my car hate me?

DavidH25

The 2001 Chevy Malibu uses an anti-theft system to prevent your vehicle from being stolen. The anti-theft system sounds an alarm and cuts power to the ignition if the vehicle is broken into. ..........Insert the ignition key into the driver door lock. Turn the key counterclockwise. Turn the key clockwise to lock the door. Turn the key counterclockwise to unlock the door again. This will shut the alarm off and reset the system.

65,425

Well that anti theft systems works.... No one would want to steal it! -- Some parts of it acts like my '02 Pontiac Grand Am. It has a flashing security light, the ten minute wait and no fuel if the engine is spun. I don't have the door lock procedure that David described or the dash light / headlight black out that Stephanie described. It could be a problem with the body control module (BCM) that controls the electrical loads.

DavidH25

I looked at several ways on different sites, and the all were identical or very very close to that procedure for the Malibu, so I just picked the ehow one and pasted it verbatim

Stephanie White
30

Thank you both so much. It turns out that my battery had some corrosion between terminal and cables, I cleaned it, charged it, and it started. Apparently it was the anti theft device causing the issue that began it and my bad connection caused the drain. It was very frustrating, but I am happy that it didn't cost me a fortune to fix.

DavidH25

I love happy endings

Mary Miller
160

I have the same problem...a friend was selling me her malibu and it has been sitting for 3 or 4 months with a bad battery. we place the battery and still wont start...could it be the anti theft

bud1944
130

If starter cranks engine but it won't start and "anti-theft system" light on dash is blinking then the anti-theft system is preventing fuel from reaching the engine. Just turn the ignition key to on position and wait for approx. 10 minutes and the blinking anti-theft will go off. Turn the key to off and then back to start and the car should start up. This has happened to our 2001 Malibu at least a dozen times over the years.

sweetness1
60

IT worked!! woo hoo i am a new mom who did not have the money to pay the dealership 5 to 8 hundred dollars to fix my chevy malibu when my car would not start. i turned the key on for ten min then off. and put the key in drivers door turned left. then right then back left and CAR STARTED.. thanks guys for help

Victor Morgado
20

What happened to Stephanie and her Malibu happened to me last saturday under an ice rain and without my cell phone..Usually leaving the key turned for 10 minutes would do the job, but this time the power went off completely as a mechanic last year told me that would happened to me one day with this sort problem with the alarm system. The light went off and it came back etc, the it was dead. I was lucky to get an experienced mechanic driving the tow truck that I had to call the next day. This man would not give up in making the car start. After the jump start failed. He told me it was the starter of the car. He took a bar and began to tap hard on the starter right in front of the car. then we gave it a try again and the car started running again. Not only that, but the engine check disappeared as well!. He said that it was a "bad point" in the starter and that it was not necessary to replace it. Figure that out...

Vernetta717_
60

I have a 2003 Malibu, and the Theft System light keeps coming on and I have to wait 10 minutes to start the car. I never know when it will happen. Why did'nt General Motors recall these cars, suppose I have rush a family member to the hospital or If I am being roobed or harrassed and I can't get away. I will never in life again, buy another car made by General Motors!!!

Escorpion53
0

I have a chevrolet malibu have no signs or emergency lights encuentrna no failure

Michael Beilke
0

Thank you guys for the help my car today Oct 17 2014 wouldn't start and the anti theft light was on my wife said it was a possible cause 10 minutes on on position 5 seconds off stated right up and no more light!

LeRoy Hemond
20

bud1944 has the answer. It worked for me and the anti theft light that has been on since I got the car(a year ago) is now off. Wow, I had been trading parts out off a friends old engine and was getting nowhere. Tried the 10 min. in the on position and 5 seconds off and started right up. Now I know to try this if it occurs again instead of paying a large towing fee! bud1944 his post is on this page! Thank you bud1944

Archie Loughrey
25

how do you do 2 keys

scorch28rr
10

Thanks Guys and Gals, I was having a frustrating time trying to start the "energy star" Malibu. I was about to pull the fuel pump when I noticed that the "anti theft" light was blinking. Remembering somewhere in the receses of my mind that GM had a "bait car" type anti theft system many years ago, I happened upon this forum and followed the 10 minute on, two seconds off restart procedure and the Malibu fired right up....WHEW!!! what a relief!

Greg Cave
20

Google is a beautiful thing. Just did this with a car we bought from my mother-in-law. Worked like charm

Abigail Jones
10

I'm having the same problem help!!!

Greg Cave
20

Abigail, if it is just the Anti-Theft issue, put your key in the ignition, turn the key to the first click. Note that the dash lights come on and the Anti-theft light continues to flash. Leave it that way for about ten minutes or until it stops flashing. Turn the key off and remove it. Put the key in the drivers door, turn it to the left and then to the right. Pull the key out and try and start you car. It should work if it is the Anti-Theft. Do you hear the fuel pump pressurize when you first try and start the car?

Abigail Jones
10

Yes I hear that

Abigail Jones
10

Its flashing theft system

Abigail Jones
10

Omg!!!!!! It worked your a life saver !!!!!!"

Greg Cave
20

Your welcome!!

Patick
0

Is there a way to disable this "dangerous" symptom?

Juniormayfield
0

Had same problem with my car was bogging down when goin down road and shutting off after being started I thought maybe the coil pack were bad so I replaced them and the coil pack plate car still shut off after being started but let sit for about five minutes and it would crank and run fin 03 malibu needs to have recall on this ploblem

Caddydlr
10

I have a 99 mailbu, tried to start it with the wrong key! not good. Now it really thinks it is stolen. I took cables off battery, discharged the capacitor by shorting the cables together, reconnected, tried to start, left in on position, theft system light came on (does not flash?). it is supposed to go off in ten or so minutes. It does not??? Tried it half an hour, still does not go off. Of course turning the key off, waiting 5 seconds and trying again did not work. Any thoughts?

Kaitlin Alexiz
0

Im having tha same issue as caddydlr anyone that can help??????

Juniormayfield
0

Kaitlin there or 3 ways to reset the security sistem (1) lock door unlock door open door shut door lock door open door get in and try to start (2) turn key to acc for 15 minutes (leave driver door open) turn key to off after 15 minutes then try and start car (3) unhook battery for 15 minutes then hook back up and try to start car but is the security light staying on I was having the same problem and I got a fuel pressure gage to see if I was gettin enough fuel pressure and I wasn't mine was the fuel pump that would be my first step to call the chevy place and ask what fuel pressure you are supposed to be getting my car is an 03 and I am supposed to be getting 54-59 ponds of fuel hope this helps

Kaitlin Alexiz
0

HELP! ok i hv a 01 chevy malibu it turns on for 3 sec. But then shuts off itd not the fuel pump we had it checked with a fuel pressurr guage and we put a kill switch for the theft system it still wont stay onn any one have an idea y it wont stay on

Juniormayfield
0

Does the theft system light stay on of the theft system light stays on then it will be the syecurity system but of that light goes out then it is something eles so your fuel pump is good it may be your fuel regulator gone bad I would get it checked next and of it's not that then it could be a crank or cam position sencer gone bad

Flpdontrip Carilo
10

I HAVE A 01 MALIBU LIGHT COMES ON ONLY AFTER I TERN THE KEY ON THE ON PISISHION THEN TERNS OFF RITE AWAY MINE JUST CRANKS BUT WILL NOT START NO OTHER LIGHTS ARE WORKIN ON DASH NOT EVEN GAGES I HAVE NO SPARK I HAVE PUT NEW COIL PACKS NEW STARTER NEW ALTERNATER SOME 1 PLS HELP

Juniormayfield
0

Flpdontrip you may need to get a new ignition plate if you or getting no spark the ignition plate is the plate that is up under the coil packs

Juniormayfield
0

Flpdontrip one more thing if none of the Gage's or working you may need a new body control module

Joseph Rogers
0

It work

Debi Strickler
0

I have a 2000 Malibu..... And I too am having a problem with the theft system. It often comes on when I'm driving but has no effect. Then there are times when it does the flashing and I have to set for 10 mins then it will start. I usually just leave the key in off position while i wait. But it seems to b doing it more often (3times in 2days). Can't afford a new car but can't keep being late either. Help please !!!! Reset or disable it doesn't matter at this point ! Thanks

dkak02
0

I have a 2003 chevy malibu this is what comes up p1815 code