Chevy 283 HP Carb vapor locking

oldlloyd
20

Asked by oldlloyd Aug 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM about the Chevrolet Classic

I  purchased  a  64  chevy  pick  up  recently ,  it  had  a  Edlebrock  intake  manifold and  high  
performance  carburetor  on  it  when  I  bought  it.  The  system  was  working  fine  but   I  wanted  to  
change  it   back  to   stock  so  I  purchased  a  2  bbl  intake  manifold  and  a new  rochester   2 bbl  
carb.    It  runs  ok    on  short   runs   of  10  to  15  minutes as  long  as  the  engine doesn't  get  too  
hot.  Water  temp  runs at  about  180  degrees .   
  On  longer  runs  at  60  mph  after  about   30  minutes     it  starts to   act  like  the  fuel  flow   is been  
interrupted briefly   and  when  I  come  to  a  stop  at  an  intersection  and  attempt  to  pull away  from   
the  engine  quits.   When  I  attempt  to re- start  it  again  it  appears  to  be  vapour  locked.    Again  
the  water  temp  run  at  180  degrees.
Also  after   my  last  run  of  60  miles  on  the  freeway   I  noticed  the  orange  paint  is   burnt  off  the  
intake manifold   ports  directly  below  the  carburetor  mounts.     
Would  appreciate  your  advice on  how  to  correct  this  problem.
Thank You.

Jerrod Adair
165

was it a brand new carb and intake or used ?? if used u may want to buy a carb rebuild kit and tune it. also check the spark plugs to see if its running lean the tip of the plug should be kinda like a burnt white. also does it backfire at all ??

Best Answer
oldlloyd
20

The carb is new and the intake manifold is used but it was all cleaned and just like new. No it dosen't back fire, we checked the timing and the plug gap and they are set correctly. It starts right up and runs as it should but when it gets up to operating temp it begins to vapour lock . When I shut it off it won't start until it cools down . Thank for your advice.

Jerrod Adair
165

did u check any fuel lines maybe u have a broken line i know that is u have a slight crack thats letting air in to the fuel system it will vapor lock thats one main reason or check if any of the fuel lines are loose other than that not to sure