OBD code Reader for saturn L300 2002

rblooz
0

Asked by rblooz Jan 02, 2011 at 09:04 PM about the Saturn L300

I recently bought a code reader (OBDII) as I was told it should work on all models made after 2000. It doesn't work on either of my saturns (2002 L300 & 2007 VUE) So I contacted the manufacturer and they told me saturn didn't switch over to OBDII until 2009. If this is so what code reader will work on my saturns? OBDI?  Any suggestions for a reader that will work on my cars would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bill Kelly
10

Every Saturn switched to OBD 2 in 1996 when the government required it to. I have a cheap OBD 2 scanner that works fine on my 2002 SC2 but doesn't work on my friend's 2002 Saturn VUE, I found this question while trying to find out why. The manufacture is basically lying to you. I haven't found what can read an L series or VUE computer, I'm guessing there is some difference in the design as the L started out as a Eurpean model and the VUE was based on that. The only machine I know will work would be a GM Tech II which you would have to go to a dealer for. I'm going to try taking the 2002 VUE to an autozone to see if they have a better scanner that can read the codes. Good luck! BIll

rblooz
0

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. If the GM Tech II works, is it available for consumers? I read something in another OBD II manual that said something about Saturn being compliant to the code requirements but they used a different protocol. Why would they do this? Doesn't that make them non-compliant? You mentioned that the L series started out as a European model, do you know where the V6 engines were made? Thanks again for your help!

Bill Kelly
10

Not sure where the engine was made but here's the wiki on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_54-Degree_V6_engine it's the L81 3.0. I did go to our local Advance and Autozone and both were able to scan it for me though. Wonder if another location would have better luck? The Tech II picks up more detail than a regular OBD II scan and can actually reprogram some settings.