Safety of Volvos without Airbags versus a different Model With Airbags

Beth Avery
0

Asked by Beth Feb 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM about the Volvo 740

I need to get my daughter a car and we found a great-seeming one - a Volvo 740 wagon 1985 with only 85,000 miles on it for $1600 (it's through a family friend), but now I'm concerned that it doesn't have airbags. A newer Volvo with an airbag is out of the price range, but another model with an airbag is not a safely constructed. Do you think the above type Volvo without any airbags is safer than one of those tin cup cars with an airbag? Thanks for your advice!

53,385

Volvos are safe cars. They always have been. Buy the one without the air bags. The seat belts are the main form of personal protection and will work fine if needed.

Racer_X
13,585

As stated above, Volvos, regardless of year or model have been and are now very safe, well constructed cars. With that being said, the 1985 models were built like tanks (sorta look like them too..lol) and should fare quite well in terms of protecting your "precious cargo" in the event of an accident. Keep in mind that you won't find airbags in ANY 80's car...also, this IS a European car, so repairs, if needed, won't be inexpensive..however Volvos are reliable cars. Also, I'm not sure if the older Volvos did this or not, but in my 2006 Volvo S40, in the event of a serious frontal collision, the engine is designed is drop straight down out of the engine bay as opposed to backward in the direction of the driver and passenger. I'd say you're good to go with the '85 Volvo 740 wagon, even w/o airbags :)

DavidH25

That is really interesting smooth. Volvo was bought by Ford in I think it was 1999, but have since sold the "Volvo" trademark to a Chinese car manufacturer, that was about 2008. Those numbers are not right, I am just doing it from memory didn't look it up..but a 1985 Volvo was Swedish design and manufacture, one of if not the safest cars on the road, because if engineering ideas and feats like the engine dropping like that

the89volvo
45

I rear ended a car going ~35 and my 89 doesn't have airbags. I walked away with no pain at all and all that developed later was a little chest pain from the seat belt. Safest car you can find. Very nice mileage for the price. Go for it.