surging

Nicolai
0

Asked by Aug 10, 2012 at 02:16 AM about the Mercury Tracer

98 tracer falters, surges.  computor readout said sensors--replaced O2 sensors, tran fluid OK,...any suggestions?

13,365

Is it surging at idle? While moveing? More like stumbling? And there are alot of sensors, which codes did it have when the codes were read?

Nicolai
0

Thanks for reply, Andrew. Went to garage and then to Ford (both said the front O2)--don't know codes. Re surge: coming to stop, rough idling, wants to die; a flat second or two upon acceleration before car surges ahead (but not always the same). At higher speed, seems to perform normally. My morning: Starbucks, then will replace fuel filter. Urghh. N.

13,365

O2 sensors can cause this. Ensure the wireing is intact to them. Fuel filter is a good try. Check basics, spark plugs, wires, ignition timing, and even fuel pressure.