how do i change tail light lamp on freestyle

faylorbh
25

Asked by faylorbh Jul 28, 2007 at 07:57 AM about the Ford Freestyle

mr_dan_mule
415

You will have to pull off some plastic panels on the interior of the vehicle to get to the tail lights. Usually there are only a couple of fasteners holding on each light assembly. If you are trying to replace bulbs then you can do it without having to remove the entire tail light.

Sean Hagan
215

Nope! Sorry. There is one or two screws to un-screw once you open the tailgate. Once those two screws are out, you pull the lense unit straight out... it is kind of tough to get out... consider a screwdriver with a towel on the end to wedge it out... be VERY CAREFUL NOT to scratch your paint. Once the lense unit is out, you unscrew (i think it is 1/2 turn) the bulb holder out. Have a splendorful day!

Dziner
130

Sean2349 is right on this one. You have to remove the tailight assy to get to the bulbs. I've attached a photo to help people understand the front tabs that Sean2349 mentions

xoraster
60

This topic was very helpful. The only thing I would add is that after you remove the 2 screws from the assembly, that the assembly appears to want to behave like a hinge. But its not, you must pull it straight out, and give it a little force when pulling. I used a screwdriver and towel as suggested and tugged it enough forward around the little lip of metal that prevents it from hinging open. (Which is intentional) Then I could pull it straight all the way off. the lights are attached to the tail light assembly piece, and are the things you half turn to remove the light. The actual light then does not turn/twist out, it just pulls out gently so you don't break the bulb in your fingers. Shimmy it side to side to loosen it. Then you can put the new light in. And Put it back together in reverse order like the spartan manual advises you. Good Luck.

Dean La Douceur
0

Thank you for this answer. I knew that there was a little something more that I needed to know.