How can i get better mileage in my truck?

Rick De Keizer

Asked by Rick Feb 28, 2009 at 01:41 PM about the Ford F-150

I have a F-150 (5.4L triton) and i currently get less then 13 mpg.
Are there any parts or anything to get me better mpg?

Scott Robson

Not much on a truck that is heavy and with that engine other than adjusting your driving habits. Don't mash the loud pedal everytime you getthe green light, coast to red lights and anticipate when a light will turn red or green to increase coasting and unnecessary stops an starts. Choose routes to your destination that use highways or roads with less lights and less traffic congestion. Make sure your tires are inflated properly or even a little over inflated in the summer for less rolling resistance. Make sure your spark plugs are all in good shape (minor to no corrosion and proper gaps maintained), ensure you have clean fuel injectors and a clean air filter. Synthetic oil helps a bit too. You could get the engine breathing a little better with an aftermarket inake kit and maybe exhaust mods as well but these can also lead to stepping on the throttle too much to hear the music ; >. Cheers.

Ben Law

actually there is more you can do, what mods have you done? a programmer might help if you dont already have one. they can be a little pricey but worth it. i think the guys at would be more of a help than i am though. you may want to check in there so they can point you in the right direction on that.

Rick De Keizer

my truck is completely stock. i don't know what mods to put on, or which companies r better then others. which intake/exhaust systems and other mods make my mileage better without being too expensive?

Joey Fuller

drive slower.... turn air off role windows down a hydrogen boost will gt u better gas millage but i personally think its a pain in the butt ..they have a web site just type hydrogen boost in google im surprised u get less than 13 i have a 02 f-150 5.4 liter that gets that on a bad day

Driving habits is the answer. My 2010 F-150 is rated at 17/21 mpg. On a rather long road trip a while back I hit the interstate, plugged in the cruise control, and nailed in at 60 for the entire trip. When I stopped to get gas (started with a full tank) the old pencil and paper indicated a little over 25 mpg. Of course I was the only thing in the truck.

just replace the spark plugs and oil more freequent, put an after market acold air intake, an after markat exhaust , and add a bully dog system to your car . That will add beter gas milage to your ride.Dont forget the lucas oil liquid you put in the gas tnk when you fill it up.

If the truck runs ok, before spending a bundle of money remember this. I have a 2010 F-150, My bro. purchased a 2011 outfitted the same way with engine and tranny. On our road trips to the casino (100) miles each way I average well over 20 miles per gallon. He gets about 12 or thirteen. The difference - I drive at 60 and he drives somewhere around 85. Try taking your time for a week. See what happens.

Dave Wilson

Depending on the speeds you're driving, AC off and windows down can potentially hurt your mileage. At higher speeds, it is said that using A/C with the windows up is better becasue of the added wind resistance caused by a windows down condidtion.

Dave is correct, expecially at highway speed. If your a/c is cycling normally it should not decrease your mpg to a point where it is noticeable. Also, if you removed the talegate from the truck because it looks cool, put it back on. Having it down or off kills gas mileage.

i've owned several 150's. the air flow is severely restricted, and you can get a few extra miles from fixing that. the best way i had it done was through a k&n intake and a magnaflow exhaust. the first thing i do, whenever i buy one, is pull the restrictor out of the airbox. the computer will learn how to cope with the added oxygen. i increased my jeep's economy by about 5 mpg by swapping out injectors. not sure if they have a good swap for 150's or not