what causes oil to leak on spark plugs ?

xdale
0

Asked by Sep 20, 2010 at 06:05 PM about the Ford Contour

after removing spark plugs I noticed oil on two plugs enough to cause fouling.

David Koppa
345

Most likely a blown head gasket, check the coolant and see if its muddy or oily looking and check the oil for bubbles and foaming. If you mean oil on the outside of the plugs, (not on the electrode) then it is most like a valve cover gasket leaking oil down onto the plugs.

Alex Baron
165

Its probably the valve cover gasket(s), not the head gasket. Its a common problem.

Jonathan Furse
2,875

Bad piston rings or head gasket.

papa

broken oil rings.

Damon Jackson
125

valve cover gasket needs to be replaced with the spark plug oil seals also. should all be included in a fel-pro valve cover gasket set. assuming its the 4 cylinder car.

papa

what a bunch of bull,none of this post makes sense,valve cover leaks on the outside when bad,only way to get oil on the plugs are bad valve seals or broken oil rings.

Larry Quigley
7,480

On a overhead cam engine the plug are recessed down in the block. This means there valve cover gasket seals the outside edge of the vale cover as well as the openings around the plugs. So the seal can fail around the plugs letting oil get into the plug area and it can eventually seep down the plugs. Be to check that you don't have a clogged pvc system causing a pressure build up. I've seen this cause similar leaks before.

newscctv
30

valve cover gasket needs to be replaced with the spark plug oil seals also. should all be included in a fel-pro valve cover gasket set. assuming its the 4 cylinder car. http://www.wellbridal.com

Adam Christenson
95

That could be your piston rings.

Sunil_Yadav_1974
20

Oil leaks into the spark plug when the bike is driven ob the road by pressiing the clucth.As a result the clutch get free, due to gap between the plates and oil packing in the clutch plate starts flowing to the engine in large amount under high pressure effect. This accumulates over the piston and produces unburned fuel. This fuel gets accumated on the top head as the piston moves from BDC to TDC. This fuel blocks and produces hinderance in starting of engine.

codywoods13
80

I have w reg fiesta had the head gasket done about a month ago. And now it's starting stuttering really bad and rev up and down and now wot start at all now and I have oil all over 2 spark plugs

biguy59nw
10

Was spark plug tube seals on my Honda 2.2l 10 bucks.

Eugene Eric Louw
0

1,2 sparks plugs gets oil.I allreay put new vavle stamp seals.what is that and the car have that loud funny idela.

Elaina_w63
50

I have same prob. On my 1999 Chevy cavalier Z24 2.4 liter with twin cams...I was told 500 to replace the valve cover gaskets because there are two and it's hard to get to them....I wiped all the oil from the plugs and even changed out the oil pressure switch to see if that would help until I can afford to have it fixed, and it didn't help at all. The car is not over heating, no black smoke, it's just hesitating badly with low fuel power. Stuttering and very sluggish. Any thoughts?

Dennisbacon
20

what causes oil to leak around spark plugs

biguy59nw
10

I changed my spark plug tube seals, I saw that the new ones were much thicker. I also still had some oil on the plugs so I got a new valve cover gasket and it too was much thicker than the old one. Now there is no oil on the plugs. I am going to finish off this job now with new grommets and a PCV valve and seal. My advice is to change all these at the beginning, this is obvious. (95 Honda Odyssey BTW)